Tank against wall, need help with plug options

somechinesereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the spot the new tank is in, it will be about 2-3 inches from the wall, meaning that plugs will only be able to fit if i force them into the outlet, with a kink on the cord. Obviously I can't do this, so I'm wondering what people's opinions were on how to fix this, without moving the tank out further(tank position is set in stone, figuratively). I've found some right angle plugs that will allow cords to plug into its sides, as well as some that have a cover and extension cord, but I'm not sure which options are best. I have 2 power bars and a power strip I need to plug in(both power bars are plugged into the power strip at the moment, since it has a built in right angle style plug.)

Additionally, I didn't have time nor did i want to put a gfci on this specific outlet because once the tank is there, it will be extremely difficult to move, meaning I couldn't service the gfci outlet if it went bad, so I plan to put a gfci breaker instead. Are there any other precautions I should take? Maybe cut a piece of acrylic to shield the outlet from potential splashes? I can't install anything onto the receptable itself since the tank is already in place, poor advance planning on my part.

Also how safe is it to have everything under the tank in the sump as far as electrical goes? I'm nervous about having the radion ballasts, plugs, and power bars down there with all the water, even if it's not in a splash zone...

Thanks!

Last edited:

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a power strip with a flat plug that goes down instead of out.

GE, White, 6 Outlet Surge Protector 2 Pack, 10 Ft Extension Cord, Power Strip, 800 Joules, Flat Plug, Twist-to-Close Safety Covers, 46862

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what your stand is like but I cut a hole in the back of mine to access the outlet. There have been a few times I was glad I had actual access to the outlet itself.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re fairly hands on you can pull the plug and just use the existing box as a junction box and extend the wire over to where you can access the plug easier. Putting the new wire in watertight conduit you could pass the wire thru the stand mount a new plug box assembly on the stand itself. For added safety you can even use an outdoor plug assembly kit for mounting the new receptacle.
The pic is under my kitchen cabinet, but my theory is the same. Where the conduit is coming up from the floor would be your existing wall plug, and my box position would be if you were to position your plug to access from outside the stand. Now if you wanted access the new plug box from inside the cabinet you would want a flush mount receptacle box and Mount with the plug facing inside. I like to use the outdoor receptacle kits, available at most big box hardware stores since they have gaskets already with them, if I’m installing anywhere near water.
For the additional wire, conduit, and plug assembly I’d guess maybe $30. Ideally, a new branch circuit for aquarium use only would be nice (no vacuum cleaner kicking the breaker when the heater is on at the same time!) and use the existing plug for secondary power if the new line GFCI tripped.

image.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 101 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back