Tank birthday, 47+ years

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a couple of weeks my reef will will have reached 40 years old.
Unfortunately I don't remember when I was 40 but I remember when I set it up. I was a skinny 22 year old just back from Viet Nam.
It is still running very well, still using the same reverse UG filter, same dolomite substrait but none of the fish are original. The oldest one, a fireclown is just over 16, all of the older fish died in an accident that was due to my carelessness.
The tank is mostly LPS, gorgonians, giant mushrooms and a few leathers.
There are only three SPS corals, two of which have been with me for a few years and are growing nicely.
I am not sure is any of the original NSW from the Long Island Sound is still in there or any of the original amphipods but maybe much later generations.
I still can't take a decent picture and the tank is not as blue as these pictures but it is what it is.
opentank008.jpg

Valantinesday017.jpg

monti002.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

Aquarium014.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I never liked the idea of DSBs. They have a lifetime of about 10 years and almost all of our fish live way longer than that.
I think most people keep their tank much too sterile.
I like LED lighting but I didn't build a unit yet.
In the beginning we used regular flourescent lights, then VHO, then compact flourescents then MH, now we will all soon have LEDs.
Besides that, everything is the same except for our knowledge.

monti003.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your little rock mover/dragon wrasse.
As soon as he grows a little more I will trap him and give him away

I doubt I'll have the stamina when I'm in my 70s to hit the 40 year mark.
I am in my 60s now so I also don't know how long I will have, but I hope to get the tank to 50

What was it like back then trying to get rock, corals and fish?

There were no live corals then, that came 15 years later. Rock was easy. You got on a plane, went to the Caribbean, Hawaii or Tahiti and held it on your lap on the plane ride home. People just looked at you funny.
Fish came from a store like they do now but there was only blue devils, dominos and sargeant majors. Other fish gradually came later.

Just curious on how old the oldest fish that you have in that tank?
The oldest fish I have now is a 16 year old fireclown. My oldest fish was an 18 year old cusk eel that I killed by accident.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 years on a salt tank, prettuy cool I had a fresh water when I was ten that made it until a year ago 28 years? before the seal started leaking, after my wife tripped on the vacum cleaner cord and accidentally fell in to it, and I got the tank second hand at that, you rember what brand the tank is?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back