Tank covered in red stuff

Eddieg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
The corner off my tank is covered un red stuff can someone tell me what it is and best way to treat it

F5B7D9D9-7A24-48EF-98C6-5937A1F6E44B.jpeg

720 Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
The corner off my tank is covered un red stuff can someone tell me what it is and best way to treat it

F5B7D9D9-7A24-48EF-98C6-5937A1F6E44B.jpeg
Hard to tell with the blue pic, but most likely cyanobacteria (aka red slime). If so, try chemiclean

NanoLuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyanobacteria (red slime alage) to me too. It is pretty common in new reef tanks and typically clears up relatively quickly. I had a couple outbreaks early on and it disappeared after a handful of thorough scrubbing sessions, in a matter of two-three weeks.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three things got rid of my algae:

1) Strong UV light
2) Started an Oxydator (look for threads on this site)
3) Phytoplankton every other day

Before and after pics (also have since increase the light intensity by 5% on my Radions)

Before 2021 04 28.jpg

After 2021 04 28.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cyano - no doubt
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back