Tank cycle parameters

ryanc1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build here. I have a 100 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. Currently 1 week in to cycle. I dosed tims one and only and have 2 clowns in the tank. Used dry rock and dry sand. When, if ever, should I expect any changes with my water parameters during the cycle? Or could it already be cycled?

Current parameters:

1.026 SG
0.00-0.25 AMMONIA
0 NITRITE
0 NITRATE
temp 78F

Lights have been off other than to take pictures.

Thanks in advance

20240330_184434.jpg

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of waiting for someone to mention the fish in what is basically an uncycled tank, BUT 2 little fish in what is about 115gallons of water should not create any issues what so ever, they do not produce enough waste, there will most likely be more ammonia added from uneaten food than from those fishes waste.

Turn your lights on for 6 to 8 hours a day. You want the algae bloom to happen. Your tank has to go thru the algae phases. As soon as you see algae creeping down into your sand bed, invest in a clean up crew. I suggest browsing the packages for your size tank at reefcleaners.org and stocking accordingly. Also good idea to add Copepods and Ampipods about that same time. The inverts are your backbone for a healthy system.

OP
OP
R

ryanc1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of waiting for someone to mention the fish in what is basically an uncycled tank, BUT 2 little fish in what is about 115gallons of water should not create any issues what so ever, they do not produce enough waste, there will most likely be more ammonia added from uneaten food than from those fishes waste.

Turn your lights on for 6 to 8 hours a day. You want the algae bloom to happen. Your tank has to go thru the algae phases. As soon as you see algae creeping down into your sand bed, invest in a clean up crew. I suggest browsing the packages for your size tank at reefcleaners.org and stocking accordingly. Also good idea to add Copepods and Ampipods about that same time. The inverts are your backbone for a healthy system.
Thank you, appreciate the feedback. I did quite a bit of research prior to going the fish in cycle route and found that my total capacity should be fine while introducing the bacteria. Also found out after i joined R2R that it's an unpopular approach...lights are going on now and will be proobably be ordering pods and the CUC this week. I'll be putting up a QT tank as well just in case my ammonia gets out of whack.

OP
OP
R

ryanc1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another week in, lights on for 6 hours a day. Switched from API tests to salifert ammonia and nitrate. Daily feedings for the 2 clowns, sometimes twice a day.... still 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Figured I would be seeing nitrites at minimum at this point.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back