Tank cycling: I already want to go BIGGER

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Red Sea Nano recently. My wife would NOT let me get a big tank. Main because I tend to be a hobbyaholic. But now she's loving the tank and few corals I bought. We discussed it and she open to getting a 120g in the near future.

Now I can shop for a sweet system. I'm digging the CAD Lights system. But I wonder if I should just build my own system from scratch. Im still new to saltwater aquariums so I'm still lost...

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how much you want to get involved with the research and design. I started with a Biocube 29. I quickly dicovered it limitations and began planning a 90 build. If you design your own system you can plan ahead for equipment that you may want to add in the future. For example I plumbed mine with a manifold off the return so I could add a reactor or UV sterilizer if desired in the future. If you design and build yourself the options are just about unlimited

Just depends on how much you want to tinker

There are many here who are very happy either way.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go 180, just a little bigger 2'x2'x6' long. Be careful with lights. Most coral wholesalers are switching to LEDs, cheaper, safer, and give a nice glimmer effect, mostly, no bulb or ballast changing. Then go big on a skimmer, Reef Octopus 2000, very effective, easy to clean. I am in almost 2 yrs, couldn't be happier, and I've had a few issues, but still haven't had a need to dose daily. There's over 50 corals, some that I got a year ago, are 10 x bigger. It's not about being cheap, but cost effective. Buy or build quality, or you'll be buying forever. My pic, to the left, is the tank 7-8 months old. Good luck!

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 180g might me too big. I mean, it sounds awesome, but 6' long is pretty big for my small house. And I'd probably have to brace the joists with jacks.

I just don't know anything about drilling tanks, bulkheads, etc...

I'll definitely buy quality products. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get something decent.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 180g might me too big. I mean, it sounds awesome, but 6' long is pretty big for my small house. And I'd probably have to brace the joists with jacks.

I just don't know anything about drilling tanks, bulkheads, etc...

I'll definitely buy quality products. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get something decent.
I have a small old house, and the tank is in the basement. Usually, if the tank is level you would be ok. I had a water bed for years, in many different houses and apartments, never had a problem. The basement is a good spot for a tank with a lot of weight, but more importantly, away from direct sunlight. And a great addition to your man-cave. There's the noise factor, and all the different sprays that are used everyday in the house, bad for your tank. 2 feet longer isn't that much, but the extra water gives you room for error.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out SC Aquariums they have nice tanks! https://www.scaquariums.com/category-s/100.htm
I just watched CJs video and he got a SCA. I like that tank and hood. Maybe I can do a 150g. I have a man cave next to my bedroom and that's where my nano tank currently is located. I could remove the 46" TV that I NEVER use, and that spot could be my new tank spot.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Red Sea Nano recently. My wife would NOT let me get a big tank. Main because I tend to be a hobbyaholic. But now she's loving the tank and few corals I bought

A huge upside of the Nano is that it takes the edge off while you research and plan the next one. I have a huge OneNote notebook with thoughts and web clippings for my next build. You can really enjoy the planning and research phase. Watch the BRS 160 series if you haven't already.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just watched the BRS plumbing episode. That's a lot of info!
My current tank will satisfy my urges while I research and build the bigger tank. :)

Michael Joye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just stocked my 40 gal IM Nova, and I wish in a way that I got an all in with a bigger sump area to work with because the nova is tight, plus i am limited on the fish that I can get. oh hindsight.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have fun. Designing and building your new system. Just get the biggest tank you can. I started off with a 150. Now I want to go bigger. I want something wider and bigger. My wife is also liking the tank like your is. My problem is I'm a hobbyholic as well. However since I got serious about salt water. I Seem to leave all the other hobbies along. Now I seem to be more focused on my tank which my wife likes. By the way if you can build your own stand. Just make sure you give it some height. When it comes to working under the tank and adding acessories,you will be glad you did. Also get a tank with a wider foot print. You will enjoy the space. Welcome to the addiction.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back