Tank is leaking need to put corals in a new tank

Sumguyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea 130 has started leaking. It’s old and I think the silicone in the rear is the problem. It’s not that bad yet. I have the power brick removed and a towel stuffed in there that I’ve had to switch out a couple times in the past couple days. I have a new tank that I was planning on setting up soon. It is a Red Sea 525xl. Was think about just setting it up this weekend and transferring the contents of the 130 over.

I have 10 or so coral frags and a BTA that are all a few months old in the tank. I was leaving it fallow for a while due to some ick I brought home with a new fish. My fish are in a quarantine tank.

I know it’s not ideal, but is there a good way to transfer the coral and live rock over to the new tank and have them survive the cycle?

I have about 30lbs of live rock plus a medium marine pure block in the 130 currently. I also have 75lbs of pukani that has been curing for about a month (I was waiting for it to finish before I set up the new tank).

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea 130 has started leaking. It’s old and I think the silicone in the rear is the problem. It’s not that bad yet. I have the power brick removed and a towel stuffed in there that I’ve had to switch out a couple times in the past couple days. I have a new tank that I was planning on setting up soon. It is a Red Sea 525xl. Was think about just setting it up this weekend and transferring the contents of the 130 over.

I have 10 or so coral frags and a BTA that are all a few months old in the tank. I was leaving it fallow for a while due to some ick I brought home with a new fish. My fish are in a quarantine tank.

I know it’s not ideal, but is there a good way to transfer the coral and live rock over to the new tank and have them survive the cycle?

I have about 30lbs of live rock plus a medium marine pure block in the 130 currently. I also have 75lbs of pukani that has been curing for about a month (I was waiting for it to finish before I set up the new tank).

Why not set up some Rubbermaid tubs with the stuff from the leaky tank to make a temporary holding tank until the new one is ready?

OP
OP
S

Sumguyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that. But, I would have to put it in the garage and I dont have a chiller. I’m in Northern California and it’s pretty hot now. Today it was 86 in my garage. If the cycle takes only a month I think it will get hotter.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just transfer everything (water,rock,coral) over to the new tank in one shot. You will see a small cycle from the nutrients that get stirred up but it will clear quickly.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed use everything except old sand. You should be fine.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you move your live rock, substrate and WATER to the new tank, there won't be any cycle to speak of. You may not get a spike at all.

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not old sand?
I think some bacteria in the sand can die off when disturbed, meaning you would risk an ammonia spike. Might be different if the bed has been regularly siphoned. Sorry I don't have a source.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you stir up that sand there will be so much detritus in it that you won' want to reuse it. You can rinse it if you' like but it' just easier to buy new....

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back