Tank not using Ca

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley My garage tank seems to be not using or not using as much Ca. Since the beginning of October my Ca has been climbing. It was 450ppm but now its 530ppm, but my Alk is staying at 8.5. I dose 45ml of both Alk/CA. I'm using BRS's Calcium Chloride and baked baking soda. I do a 4 gallon water change on the 60gal system each week. I have to dose Ca to the new salt water mix to bring it up to 430 because its mixing below 400ppm. What would cause Ca to climb with a stable Alk? Should I stop dosing Ca to the tank until it comes back down to where I want it of 420-450 or will it go down on its own over time?

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley My garage tank seems to be not using or not using as much Ca. Since the beginning of October my Ca has been climbing. It was 450ppm but now its 530ppm, but my Alk is staying at 8.5. I dose 45ml of both Alk/CA. I'm using BRS's Calcium Chloride and baked baking soda. I do a 4 gallon water change on the 60gal system each week. I have to dose Ca to the new salt water mix to bring it up to 430 because its mixing below 400ppm. What would cause Ca to climb with a stable Alk? Should I stop dosing Ca to the tank until it comes back down to where I want it of 420-450 or will it go down on its own over time?

Your not following the calcium with a trident by any chance?

OP
OP
N

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you detail the exact recipe you are using for both parts?

Is nitrate rising? That consumes alkalinity and not calcium.
It's 2 1/4 cups of baked baking soda in enough water to make one gallon and 2 1/2 cups of BRS Calcium Chloride in enough water to make one gallon. Nitrates seems to be holding steady around 5 or lower. I'll be checking that tomorrow or Saturday.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 2 1/4 cups of baked baking soda in enough water to make one gallon and 2 1/2 cups of BRS Calcium Chloride in enough water to make one gallon. Nitrates seems to be holding steady around 5 or lower. I'll be checking that tomorrow or Saturday.

If you dose that recipe equally (don't assume two dosing pumps deliver the same amount from time of delivery alone) and calcium is continually rising, then there are other sources of alkalinity depletion in your aquarium, or you are adding calcium some other way. In any case, cut back on the amount of the calcium dosed to match the situation.

There's nothing wrong with 530 ppm, but letting it drop back to the mid 400's with no calcium dosing for a while is a fine plan.

FWIW, calcium tests can read as high as you want just by using a second syringe and adding the values together.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did what Randy said, used an additional syringe of the solution. Not sure how I overdosed the tank but I ended up in the 550 range. Also, I do not suggest it but I added Birdsnest to my tank and my CA dropped quickly into range with how fast it grows.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff, I am also finding the consumption rate. Meaning as my Montipotas especially are growing more massive, my consumption is accelerating, i'm making adjustments. My ALK is steady, my CA is dropping..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff, I am also finding the consumption rate. Meaning as my Montipotas especially are growing more massive, my consumption is accelerating, i'm making adjustments. My ALK is steady, my CA is dropping..

FWIW, the corals are all using 1.4 dKH of alkalinity for each 18-20 ppm calcium. There is no other ratio they can use.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back