Tank setup 48 hours, this guy appeared this morning

Ritual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I setup a tank on Sunday and added the live rock, everything is looking good... I have been checking morning and night looking for little critters and this morning I spotted one. The only problem is I don't know what it could be!

It obviously came in on the live rock. I have checked all the ID threads I can find and various sites but I can't seem to find this particular brand of critter.

I apologise for the picture. It isn't the best as I took it from far and only spotted it as I was leaving the house...

Here's what I know about it:

Brown
Approximately 1.5cm-2cm long
Round, about the same height as it is wide - roughly 1cm?
Has a "split" back, look a bit like a weird peach
It moves, in the time I was watching it (about 5 minutes) it went from its spot to the top of the ridge, stopping a few times as it went.

I've attached a picture that's kind of far away, I will try and get a better one when I get home. What you can see in the picture is the entirety of it that I could see as it moved about. There were no legs poking out.

It's much bigger than I was expecting a hitchhiker to be after only 48 hours. That made me panic a little bit. I was looking for tiny baby sea monkey sized things. Then saw this.

I hope it's nothing. I am new to the hobby. Been a fresh water aquarium hobbyist for many years and we've just got our own house and convinced the wife to let me get the marine tank I have been wanting for ages.

DUxnAxNX4AAtdwH.jpg large.jpg

OP
OP
Ritual

Ritual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and get a clearer picture if he's still out and about when I get home after work. Didn't look like stomatella snail though, the back of it was weird. Before it moved I thought it was a sponge of some kind, it looked soft.

Hard to tell without pictures, I'll probably never see it again now!

OP
OP
Ritual

Ritual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this is a better picture. He's hiding in the shadows...

The thing right in the middle that looks lighter than the rock.

20180130_190648.jpg

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second picture you posted is of stomatellas. A beneficial and sought after member of a cleanup crew.

It’s a bit difficult for me to tel if that’s what your first picture is of.

I am always looking for them on the rocks at LFS’s and try to get them to sell me them. I can never seem to find anyone intentionally selling them.

If that’s what you have, I count it as a bonus and a freebie. :) Awesome hitchhiker.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this is a better picture. He's hiding in the shadows...

The thing right in the middle that looks lighter than the rock.

20180130_190648.jpg

This looks more like a bivalve, could it be a clam? The can use there foot to move around until they find a good spot to settle down.

OP
OP
Ritual

Ritual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll keep hunting and trying to get a decent picture...

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with it being a bivalve. I had several come in on my live rock when I first set up and I foolishly pulled them all out and put them in the trash now I wish I had them as they are good filter feeders.

OP
OP
Ritual

Ritual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been continuing to look about at pictures of every kind of hitchhiker's guide and now googling bivalves and I've not seen anything that looks similar to this guy just yet.

I have a magnetic glass cleaner arriving today so I can get rid of the sand residue and bubbles off the glass so I can hopefully get a clearer picture tonight.

He seems to have settled in the shaded spot there, he's not moved in 24 hours so guess he's comfortable.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hasn’t moved Sounds like a bivalve. They’ll move and settle in at the right spot

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 117 43.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 127 47.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.0%
Back