*** Tank Talk with Top Lids & Avast Marine Giveaway!! WIN a Plank Autofeeder and Custom Lid for Your Tank!! ***

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Share a challenging scenario you've faced in your reefkeeping journey. It could be an unexpected algae bloom, equipment malfunction, or a tricky water parameter issue. How did you troubleshoot the problem?
(Quoted Post #666, how appropriate)
When I was planning this latest tank build the wife said I was procrastinating, so I let her "buy" me a tank. (Read post #15 of my build thread for the real punchline.)

Last edited:

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Do you currently (or have in the past) use another type of autofeeder? What are its limitations? What key feature would you like to see in an autofeeder?
I have a couple feeders. The problem (at least for the fish) is that they get frozen whole foods when I'm home. When I go on vacation they are stuck with the dry nasty gravely food. :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Let's play Roast-a-Reefer: Tag a reef friend in here who would benefit from winning this giveaway, but roast them a little in your post (keep it friendly... we're not trying to make anybody angry. Haha! And be sure to roast people you know will appreciate it). You can do this up to 3 times today for 3 entries.
Well, since curved tanks aren't all the same curve, the cleaner would need to be flexible. If there were 3 (or more) round cylindrical magnets inside a rubber (or other flexible material) housing with a spring or rubber material behind to push up against the glass, the inside and outside surfaces could flex some to match the contour of the glass.

I don't think I explained it that great but flexible part sits against the glass, internally towards the handle another flexible surface puts some pressure against the part touching the glass to keep the friction to scrape? You might not actually need the internal part so much as the cylindrical magnets inside a flexible "pouch".
Wise Guy Eh.gif

Hey @tbrown , are you sure you didn't see my posts before "coming up" with this?:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Exactly! I made a holder for my mag cleaner that attaches to a drill. Makes cleaning/buffing quick and easy. (See video in post #3 of this thread, https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/long-time-acrylic-owners-cleaning-tips-wanted.793176/ .) As a rectangle, it tends to "walk" when the axis is not perpendicular to the glass. A circular footprint would be much more stable and produce less turbulence. I was thinking something along these lines, (red and blue are north and south poles of the magnets.)
1701063947415.png
I got to thinking about this last night and thought of an easier solution. Thinking outside the box, who said the mag scrappers have to be rigid? I had ordered a diatomaceous earth powder puffer thingy and was squeezing the bulb when it hit me. Why not make it out of silicone? With the right thickness (and alternating magnets like my first example), it could retain enough rigidity yet have enough flex to conform to the radius. (Maybe even have some "leaf spring" style radial arms molded into it.) Now that's something I would buy (and I DIY almost everything).
Or maybe just...
Great minds think alike.gif

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wise Guy Eh.gif

Hey @tbrown , are you sure you didn't see my posts before "coming up" with this?:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Or maybe just...
Great minds think alike.gif
I missed that post entirely...! Great minds for sure!

I mean the other option is we're both insane?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: If your reef tank had a theme song, what would it be?
Probably War Pigs lol. That’s at least what the Dino’s think.

Dinos gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerer of death's construction

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Have you ever rescued a fish that had jumped by getting them back into the tank before it was too late?
Yes… my male clown. Probably because of the females mood :rolleyes: but mine just jumped into a back chamber so it was still in water. I don’t think that counts.

I believe @Mhamilton0911 has saved a fish just in time

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back