Tank Transfer Advice

Staxciii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

So I have a few questions about transferring my existing 7 month old, 16 Gallon Reef tank to my new 40 Gallon.

I currently have a Pink Bar Goby Pair and a Pistol shrimp in the 40 Gallon. I plan to add a small CUC later in the week as the fish were just added on Monday. The 40 is running a Pair of noopsyche k7ii for lighting about 9" from the water with 2 Icecap 2Ks for flow. Also has a protein skimmer and Algae Scrubber.

The 16 Gallon has a Clown Pair and a mix of soft and LPS corals, as well as a mix of Snails.
I have an AI prime over it about 9" off the water, with only the stock return and an aqamai kps for flow. Also I just run purigen and chemipure for Filtration.

My main questions are,

how should I go about transferring the corals as to keep the stress to a minimum since there will be a change in lighting and flow?

Will putting my corals on the sand bed temporarily, help them acclimate or do I need to have the lights turned down for a week or two? (Unfortunarely I don't have a simple acclimation mode on the noops)

Will the change in Filtration affect anything? Should I have a my Skimmer off for a few days? I assume having it running will help with the bioload increase but that's why I'm here.

I fully cycled the 40 and it has new rock (that has been cured) and new sand. I was planning to add the rock from the 16 Gallon but like the scape in the new tank to much to mess with it. I was planning on transferring the seachem matrix from the 16 to the 40 as well as much water as I can get to transfer over.

Will that be enough to prevent a mini-cycle or any sort of crazy spike?

Sorry for the long post but I'm really stressing over this as I do not want to be maintaining 2 tanks for longer than I have to and more importantly want my clowns and corals to be happy and healthy in the new tank!

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

Jreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo it’s always safer to go with less light and ramp it up over a couple weeks. Corals can deal with a little less light than usual but too much light can quickly damage them. Putting them on the sand bed will probably be fine, but I’m not familiar with those lights so turning them down might me the safest bet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back