Tank transfer questions

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay this is a good idea! So basically a week for them in temp holding to allow for time to set up the tank in its entirety before moving them? Did you test the tank all the time like when youre doing a first cycle with all new stuff or was it essentially instantly cycled with the live rock like @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal was talking about earlier? I know Im going to need to also get new rock since the tank volume is essentially doubling and I would like to make a bigger scape for the fish. Just wanna make sure Ive thought of all the potential problems before deciding on the exact tank and doing the move!
There's no such thing as an instant cycle. Just take your time and let the tank turnover for a day. Amquel is a great product to have on hand for transfers. The possibility of having an ammonia spike is real when moving that much live stock.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no such thing as an instant cycle. Just take your time and let the tank turnover for a day. Amquel is a great product to have on hand for transfers. The possibility of having an ammonia spike is real when moving that much live stock.
Ah okay! Im just stressed about them being in the temp bin while the tank is running

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you suggest water changes in the buckets at all due to no skimmer? Got some predators and other big poopers as I call them lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right. "Insta-cycle" is a silly and misleading term.

What I meant to say is - if you move your entire biofilter (rocks) from one tank to another, there will BE no cycle (assuming the same bioload).

I mean, what do you think the holding containers are going to have as far as nitrification? I'll tell you - the rock! Lol!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay! Im just stressed about them being in the temp bin while the tank is running
Ok. Since you have time, another option would be to try to find a fellow reefer (or an LFS that sells used tanks) and borrow a large tank (90-125 gallons), set it up with HOB filter and skimmer, and move the fish there temporarily. This way you can feel more comfortable about keeping the fish in holding and take your time with the tank swap.

Yes, this would be an additional move, but since you have to set the new tank up where the old one is, there's not a scenario where you can guarantee a quick swap... something is bound to go off track at least a little, whatever plan you come up with.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Since you have time, another option would be to try to find a fellow reefer (or an LFS that sells used tanks) and borrow a large tank (90-125 gallons), set it up with HOB filter and skimmer, and move the fish there temporarily. This way you can feel more comfortable about keeping the fish in holding and take your time with the tank swap.

Yes, this would be an additional move, but since you have to set the new tank up where the old one is, there's not a scenario where you can guarantee a quick swap... something is bound to go off track at least a little, whatever plan you come up with.
Thats not a bad idea!

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the build threads that jonoH and Bruttall mentioned, as well as mine. You can also search for more tank transfer/upgrade posts/threads.

Your move will be unique to your situation and preferences, so just take note of possible problems you haven't thought of and ideas for how to have a successful move, and put together a plan that works for you.

Good luck :)
Hi! I’m moving to a bigger tank starting this weekend and have been reading your advice here…great stuff and thanks Foxx for posting this thread! My question is, do I have to replace the sand for the new tank? Or can I use some of my old sand as well? I just feel like there’s so many good things in the old stuff but maybe not? Idk lol

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’m moving to a bigger tank starting this weekend and have been reading your advice here…great stuff and thanks Foxx for posting this thread! My question is, do I have to replace the sand for the new tank? Or can I use some of my old sand as well? I just feel like there’s so many good things in the old stuff but maybe not? Idk lol

Detritus in the old sand bed can easily do unwanted things when stirred into the tank, best practice is to rinse the crap out of the old sand if you re-use. Or, go with new sand. Your rocks will bring over all the beneficial bacteria you need, IMHO.

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detritus in the old sand bed can easily do unwanted things when stirred into the tank, best practice is to rinse the crap out of the old sand if you re-use. Or, go with new sand. Your rocks will bring over all the beneficial bacteria you need, IMHO.
Thank you. I’ve got about 100 baby nassarius and turbo snails in the sand bed. Would you happen to know of a way I can salvage some of those guys? They’re so cute and I love watching them come out at night lol

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’ve got about 100 baby nassarius and turbo snails in the sand bed. Would you happen to know of a way I can salvage some of those guys? They’re so cute and I love watching them come out at night lol
I just did a tank transfer last month, what I did for the snails was get a fish net and sift through the sand to collect my nassarius snails and other sand dwelling inverts. By the third pass the old tank was so clouded up that i couldnt see anything but working methodically i got majority out.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

100% when you drain the tank down, sift that sand bed for snails and spare shells etc!

I use a plastic trowel, scoop sand out and sift for snails as you move sand to buckets, goes faster than you think :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

piscesgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% when you drain the tank down, sift that sand bed for snails and spare shells etc!

I use a plastic trowel, scoop sand out and sift for snails as you move sand to buckets, goes faster than you think :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I moved all of the livestock yesterday and was so surprised at how many snails I found with just my hands! I left a little water in the sand because today I’m going through it and putting the sand in buckets. I found a few baby nassarius snails too! I’d feel like a murderer if I were to dump the sand and not go through it thoroughly haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back