Tank Transfer

C_Donovan93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to move from a 25 gallon cube to a 40 breeder. Im keeping all my live rock and the bio media in my canister. The catch is I want to change sand because the sand I have is too fine for a reef and gets blown around. How much is this going to affect my cycle? If I strain the new sand can I immediately transfer my fish?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to move from a 25 gallon cube to a 40 breeder. Im keeping all my live rock and the bio media in my canister. The catch is I want to change sand because the sand I have is too fine for a reef and gets blown around. How much is this going to affect my cycle? If I strain the new sand can I immediately transfer my fish?
Keeping as much of your old system: from water, canister media, live rock and switching it right over, you should be good. I’ve done it 3 times in the past 5 years. Large systems. No cycles. I would go for it. :)

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up and running? Changing sand should not be an issue as far as I understand. If you were going to keep your sand that might or might not carry issues over deepending on age of the tank. If you are going to carry it over to the new tank rinse it out... sand beds are a great place for detritus to settle.

OP
OP
C

C_Donovan93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up and running? Changing sand should not be an issue as far as I understand. If you were going to keep your sand that might or might not carry issues over deepending on age of the tank. If you are going to carry it over to the new tank rinse it out... sand beds are a great place for detritus to settle.
About 3 months but the thing is I don’t want my old sand. I made the mistake of buying super fine grain sand and it gets blown around too much for my liking. So I guess my real question is will it hurt my cycle if I transfer my live rock and my canister full of bio media?

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 months but the thing is I don’t want my old sand. I made the mistake of buying super fine grain sand and it gets blown around too much for my liking. So I guess my real question is will it hurt my cycle if I transfer my live rock and my canister full of bio media?
I personally think you are fine (no sand grain intended)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the new substrate, move everything over and use Dr Tim's along with Macrobactor7 to add additional bacteria to the tank. Monitor Ammonia and Nitrites. If either rises then you can use Seachem Prime/Safe at five times the dosage to neutralize the ammonia/Nitrites until biological back to speed. Prime/Safe only viable for 48 hours, therefore, keep administering until toxic levels settle. Test that are based on Free Ammonia will still show toxic levels but if you test for Ammonium then those should be below toxicity. I'm assuming other biological media hasn't been disturbed along with the rocks that may have acted as biological media.

As an alternative. Could setup the new tank with new substrate and use power-heads to circulate water while performing a fish-less cycle with just Dr Tim's. Once completed then move contents and add Microbacto7 to supplement heterotrophic bacteria. According to Tim Havonec, best to seed nitrifiers first and avoid the heterotrophic from competing for available substrate.

OP
OP
C

C_Donovan93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the new substrate, move everything over and use Dr Tim's along with Macrobactor7 to add additional bacteria to the tank. Monitor Ammonia and Nitrites. If either rises then you can use Seachem Prime/Safe at five times the dosage to neutralize the ammonia/Nitrites until biological back to speed. Prime/Safe only viable for 48 hours, therefore, keep administering until toxic levels settle. Test that are based on Free Ammonia will still show toxic levels but if you test for Ammonium then those should be below toxicity. I'm assuming other biological media hasn't been disturbed along with the rocks that may have acted as biological media.

As an alternative. Could setup the new tank with new substrate and use power-heads to circulate water while performing a fish-less cycle with just Dr Tim's. Once completed then move contents and add Microbacto7 to supplement heterotrophic bacteria. According to Tim Havonec, best to seed nitrifiers first and avoid the heterotrophic from competing for available substrate.
Would live sand be a bad idea because of competing bacteria types. Should I go live or dry sand because my LFS only has 20 pounds dry but 80 pounds live.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would live sand be a bad idea because of competing bacteria types. Should I go live or dry sand because my LFS only has 20 pounds dry but 80 pounds live.
I don't have experience with live sand.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back