Tank upgrade/replacement suggestions

4n6doc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m looking to upgrade my 20 gallon reef tank. I had a couple tanks in the early 2000s (35 gal mixed reef and 60 gal FOWLR), quit for many years and got back into it 2 years ago with a 20 gal AIO setup. I’d like to upgrade to something that’s roughly a 50 gallon display. I do not love the build quality of my 20 gallon (JBJ) and would like to get something really well-built that will last. There are so many options these days, I’m having trouble deciding.

I’m into softies and LPS, mostly keep low maintenance corals. I’ve got a yellow watchman goby, tailspot blenny, scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and pistol shrimp. I just want more room for fish and to have an easier time managing parameters.

My biggest priorities are ease of use and how quiet I can make the plumbing (I have to keep this tank in my office and often have meetings/record voiceovers in the same room for - I’m not expecting perfect silence here but being on the quieter side is a huge plus). I’ve been eyeballing the Aquaforest Oceanguard 275 and some of the Red Sea models, but I’ve heard drawbacks about both, either in terms of stabilizing water levels (Aquaforest) or app/build quality issues (Red sea).

Looking for any brand recommendations, or any thoughts if you have experience with the models I’ve listed. Much thanks in advance!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're in to build quality, there's only really one contender if you're looking at a reef ready tank..

Cade is your go to- and they have both black/white cabinets in various size.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cade, waterbox, personally I have and like figi cube. Or tenecore for acrylic

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be the word one here and recommend you NOT get any of those tanks….
If you’re looking for something that will actually last a long time (decades) get a standard tank that has the braces on the top and bottom like an Aqueon or something.

I personally wouldn’t trust any tank that’s fully rimless with an overhanging front panel.

How quiet the tank is comes down to the overflow box used and not really anything else. Hell even with a standard internal overflow that comes on Aqueon tanks you can run a herbie style drain (full siphon drain and 1 emergency drain) and it’ll be just as quiet as any bean animal style overflow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back