Tanked TV Series

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just saw my first episode of Tanked. It was the feng shui episode. How the heck can you add fish and coral on day one of a brand new tank???? Am I missing something??

fishdoc11

It's a hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, those guys are a joke IMO. No respect whatsoever for all the livestock they kill (or put in tanks that are horribly stressful places to live) every day.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are obviously a successful aquarium company and have built a clientele. I just don't understand how they do it??? It goes against all we know as marine aquarist.

aquabull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched only a few minutes with my jaw dropped open!

Remember when "Finding Nemo" came out and someone from Tetra (i believe) went on the Today Show? He mixed up salt and water, and rapidly proceeded to add fish! Before the salt was even fully dissolved! Tetra had to can a multi-million dollar advertising campaign due to that unchecked live television event!

Kinda reminds me of that. (But the acrylic dudes behind the scenes are AWESOME!)

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The show is entirely for entertainment purposes. Alot of the stuff is cut out.

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw an interview with the main dude and he said they have cycled bio filtration ready, and alot of editing. They obviously arent just putting saltwater and throwing in fish. There's alot of behind the scenes that they don't show due to time restraint.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All they need is a 5 second blip/disclaimer about the editing of the show, and that they actually care about the livestock, and that there needs to be research done. But after seeing them make a pufferfish puff up and hold it in their hand, I question if they care at all, or do they just care about the money.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not watched "Tanked" but you can add fish and coral to a tank at any time after live rock and live rock can be added on day one. If you add coral on day one, these need to be hardy coral such as frogspawn and xenia that can survive well in all kinda funk. Keep up with regular water changes to to help keep a balance in he water through the initial cycles.

I had my mantis tank set up in one day. Washed it out and derimmed it. Then mixed up some salt water as well as use some water from my display from a water change. From this moment I had healthy aiptasia (yeah, but It's just a mantis tank), a rose coral hitchhiker and pulsing xenia. A mantis shrimp hitchhiker, 3 red leg hermit crabs, 1 Hawaiian zebra claw hermit and a mexican turbo snail. This tank is all about survival and it has actually become very interesting to see how things go down. I call it "death row". Might have been that tahitian moon sand has no silicates or it might have been the turbo snail but I never had diatoms in this tank.

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember hearing that they use dr Tim's aquatics "one & only". Never used it myself but heard cool things about the product

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember hearing that they use dr Tim's aquatics "one & only". Never used it myself but heard cool things about the product

I use it on all if my new setups with dry rock. Dr. Tims is out of this world good, 13 tanks and I have never had a cycle.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Bio-spira formula which is DR Tims patent when he was with Tetra. I used it when I added water to my new tank and added some more when I added 2 clowns. Tank parameters are "on the money". I test every day and have not had any extreme rise in any of the tests. I am thinking of adding some hardy corals like frogspawn or a duncan. As I am new to Marine tanks, I dont understand the theory of "aging" a tank. What do you all think about me adding some corals??? Remember my tank is only 1 month old.

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear the Dr. Tims and Tetra SafeStart are pretty much the same as well. The SafeStart is the new "BioSpira"....I think. I don't know if SafeStart is for SW though.

About 3 weeks ago I setup a FW tank. 72 Gal. bowfront. I got the sand in, decorations, water, filter, etc. and let in run for a few days. When I added the fish, I added the full bottle of the Tetra SafeStart. I added 6 .27 cent feeder comets. Never had any signs of ammonia or nitrites. It was like the 3rd day, I started seein' nitrates. By day 7, the nitrates was 20ppm. So I did a 50 percent water change and it knocked it down to around 5ppm. I'm now doing large weekly water changes (Aqueon water changer is awesome) and no problems. Ammonia and nitrites still 0.

So this stuff instantly cycled my tank. From what I have read is, go with the Dr. Tims or SafeStart. But again, I think the SafeStart might be FW only.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The safe start is by Tetra and is only for FW. The bio-spira is actually bottled by Instant Ocean and is solely for SW applications. I love this product and think it is a must for all new tanks and when you need to do a large water change.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Bio-spira formula which is DR Tims patent when he was with Tetra. I used it when I added water to my new tank and added some more when I added 2 clowns. Tank parameters are "on the money". I test every day and have not had any extreme rise in any of the tests. I am thinking of adding some hardy corals like frogspawn or a duncan. As I am new to Marine tanks, I dont understand the theory of "aging" a tank. What do you all think about me adding some corals??? Remember my tank is only 1 month old.

I had my 20L set up with fish and coral on the first day. If you have the live rock then you are fine to add hardy LPS and softies.

Just for future reference, You really do need to wait till your tank is a minimum of 6 months if you decide to get an anemone.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back