TDS Causing problems ?

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently had a massive outbreak of GHA and I couldn't come up with any reasons as to why after testing for the basics. I went down to my ATO and tested the TDS and it read 40! I quickly put my RODI on, made a gallon fresh and saw 10 on my meter. Questions ... #1 any reason why there is such a difference in fresh to stored water ? #2 ( I think I know the answer) would a high TDS lead to GHA? I have all new membranes and filters on order, plan to empty and scrub my storage container, scrub my rock as best I can and treat with Fluconazole. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse my storage containers every time I make RO water. I also let the system run for about 10-15min before I collect water. I noticed that even when my ro system was putting out 0 TDS, my containers would read 10-50 if I didnt rinse them first.
As far as the algae goes, if you suck the majority out with a few consecutive water changes with true 0 TDS starting water, it should disappear over time. Once its in there its a pain to get rid of but the best way to combat it is by removing the algae and the nutrients it has absorbed. Use a siphon hose and rip it off the rock and suck it right out of the tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back