TDS, low PSI, etc etc...

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at my last place I was on city water and now I've moved to a house on a well. Let's figure some things out...

Old house: 80 PSI, 88 TDS from tap, 0 TDS after RODI, waste was 200+ TDS
New house: 40 PSI, 110 TDS from tap, 3 TDS after RODI, waste is 112 TDS

So, a couple questions. Why would my TDS increase from 0 to 3? Could it be the high levels of iron and manganese in my tap? Also, why is the waste TDS more or less the same as the tap TDS? That part has me baffled...

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 in well water will kill deion resin. Lucky you, ive got well and get 600-900ppm and 6-20ppm after ro.
Whats the tds after the ro membrane?

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear PSI has a lot to do with how effective the RO membrane is. More stuff getting through the RO might result in more getting through the DI?

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a booster pump, wells typically have variable psi and 40 psi causes a lower rejection rate and much below that can start to cause scaling of the ro membrane. Also change your di resin if you have stuff getting through it's exhausted, also consider a dual di stage.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be. Do you know why the waste water wouldn't have a higher TDS than the source water?
My guess is that new water has different level of different contaminants. If I understand RO/DI filtering correctly, each stage is for different types (sizes?) of contaminants. Whatever it is (I think silicates and ammonia?) that makes it through the RO membrane may just be in higher concentration in the well water than it was from the city. Maybe another reason your DI resin is letting more stuff through...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be. Do you know why the waste water wouldn't have a higher TDS than the source water?

But it does, doesn't it? How much higher depends on the waste water ratio to source water.

That said, I wouldn't put a whole lot of focus on the specific numbers since they are not likely to be super accurate in a cheapo monitoring device, and are not going to be temperature corrected.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 in well water will kill deion resin. Lucky you, ive got well and get 600-900ppm and 6-20ppm after ro.
Whats the tds after the ro membrane?

Can I use my Red Sea test kits to test my tap water for pH and KH to determine CO2?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back