TDS Meter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a small digital TDS meter and it dawned on me how simple this should be to have my APEX reporting it and sending me warnings when it is above 0.

With TDS causing most of us SPS keepers trouble, I would think this could be an awesome component for the APEX system.

Any plans for this? Did a quick Google search, but didn't really see anything worth while.

If I am a fool and it exists, please point me to it so I can stop being a fool :)

OP
OP
ws6kid

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That capability has been available for years ;)

The PM2 with a conductivity probe has 4 selectable ranges; one of those (low range) is suitable for this purpose. See the PM2 manual for more info.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/

I understand that a probe will work for a bucket of RO water, but I am talking about a device that shows me the TDS on water going into my DI and coming out, like you would see on upgraded BRS RODI units. 2 simple probes that provide a digital reading to know if your filters are going bad. Probes in buckets can show TDS in the water from dust or other items that may have gotten into the water. Would be really great to have a reading that was tracked on a graph for water going into the RODI, between membrane and DI, between DI and bucket, and in the bucket. Would make identifying where the problem lies with TDS easy to address.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan of BRS and terrence are already discussing this.

Ryan joked about producing apex ready RODI kits and apex making an expansion box and a premade probe.

I suggested making it wi fi as many peoples rodi are not near the controller.

Its being discussed.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could make the meter inline by using an inline probe mount like this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-In-Lin...371495?hash=item3b009d2e67:g:YzEAAOSwEyRaedXf
Simply add it to a tee and put push connects on either end. I for one would just like the probe to notify me when I need to replace my first di stage I know that once my first stage creeps above 10 I need to swap it but my product water is still 0 after the second stage.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could make the meter inline by using an inline probe mount like this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-In-Lin...371495?hash=item3b009d2e67:g:YzEAAOSwEyRaedXf
Simply add it to a tee and put push connects on either end. I for one would just like the probe to notify me when I need to replace my first di stage I know that once my first stage creeps above 10 I need to swap it but my product water is still 0 after the second stage.

You will have to manage entrapped air. Entrapped air causes tremendous error on the conductivity probe and I have found to make its way through the system. But yes, I have contemplated a fully automatic RO/DI system complete with 1/4" solenoid valves for flushing the membrane and the TDS creep on the filtrate side at startup and using conductivity probes to monitor RO and DI performance. The only thing I wonder about is the conductivity sensitive to temperature at the low ranges? Requiring a temp probe for compensation of each individual conductivity probe is expensive, but then this whole project will be expensive.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back