Teething problems?

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I've reached that point no new reefer ever wants to face. I've read and watched videos which have basically told me you're gonna make some mistakes and learn some hard lessons along the way.
I feel like my first lesson is now.
In the last 2 weeks I've lost 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 emerald crab 2 turbo snails and I've it seen 2 of my 3 bumblebee snails and the 1 I can see doesn't seem to be moving much. I can only see 2 of my 5 hermit crabs and one of them is moving quite slowly.

Short story so far:
Got the tank and equipment second hand, most of it quite new ish. Filled the tank with water from my LFS who is a very trusted and professional chain in the UK. Dosed with Dr Timms ammonia and then a bit later (because I mis read the instructions) put in bottled bacteria. Went through the cycle in 4 weeks then dosed ammonia up to 2ppm which disappeared within 48 hours. Did a 25% water change and got 2 clownfish.
Over the last 3 months I've checked parameters every 2-3 days, ammonia and nitrite always 0, nitrite has stayed around 40 for a while but the last few days got it down to 10 by water change and NOPOX.
My local lfs said it may be metals but I have never dosed anything except NOPOX and KH buffer. No other metal in the tank that I can think of or have added.
pH has always been around 7.8 -8 and they said that could possibly be an issue but not a major factor.
I currently have left in my tank:
2x clownfish, 1x sail fin tang, 2 cardinals, 1x regal tang, 5 hermit crabs, 1 X emerald crab, not sure how many bumblebee snails as I can only see 1 of the 3 and even the peppermint shrimp I saw this morning I haven't seen all day.

I feel like I've started to failing at something that was going so well!

Sorry for the long post but can anyone point me in the direction I need to go or possible answers?
So far apart from metals, which I doubt the only thing that's commonly comes up is lack of food?

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like a nitrate issue and the concern i see here is constant Zero readings. I am assuming you are using API test kits ?
Inverts- Acclimation is important and also:
Temp 76-78
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
nitrate < .4
Phos < .04
ammonia < .03

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metals can come from the rock if you purchased live rock(or previously used dry rock). If someone dosed copper for example the rocks will suck of up and release it.

It seems in a short period of time you went from 40 nitrate to 10 using a water change and nopox? Nopox does not work fast so assume was a large WC? If so did you ensure salinity/temp matched? Snails and shrimp can be especially vulnerable to salinity changes.

7.8-8 PH should not be killing inverts i would not worry about that.

Are you topping off with freshwater frequently? Also to confirm you are using fresh water for topoff not saltwater?

Would end with saying most of us have been where you are at some point....trying hard but crap going wrong. Stick with it....keep learning. Still happens, but less often the more experience you get

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using API test kits which may answer both of you guys so far as to why the sudden change in nitrates and why always zeros!
I'm quickly learning API aren't the best! As a result I've ordered some salifert kits to begin replacing my API ones.
I did acclimate the shrimps as indicated over the course of an hour or so like you would with fish. Slowly adding tank water into the lfs water etc and I had my cleaner for about 10 weeks and peppermint shrimp only died yesterday so about 6 weeks. Turbo snails I've been told could have been eaten by hermits?

I had started to get greeny/brown algae on my rocks and back glass the last couple of weeks but in the last 2 - 3 days this has literally all disappeared so could something have suddenly changed in my water I've not tested for?

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metals can come from the rock if you purchased live rock(or previously used dry rock). If someone dosed copper for example the rocks will suck of up and release it.

It seems in a short period of time you went from 40 nitrate to 10 using a water change and nopox? Nopox does not work fast so assume was a large WC? If so did you ensure salinity/temp matched? Snails and shrimp can be especially vulnerable to salinity changes.

7.8-8 PH should not be killing inverts i would not worry about that.

Are you topping off with freshwater frequently? Also to confirm you are using fresh water for topoff not saltwater?

Would end with saying most of us have been where you are at some point....trying hard but crap going wrong. Stick with it....keep learning. Still happens, but less often the more experience you get
Rock and sand was all brand new when I set up

Urbanknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As this is a tank purchased from someone else and your inverts are dyeing off, I'd suggest testing for copper. Copper is lethal to inverts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back