OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm gonna go full blown mixed reef like I had before. Just buying equipment right now. Next on the list is an Rodi system .

I should say that I have 2 return pumps that I had before along with a Euro reef skimmer.

The way I did the plumbing I can run one or both pumps at the same time. I can also run one and take the other out for maintenance.

That took some thought and several ball valves and lots of unions. As you can see from the above pictures I ran most of the plumbing inside the wall to a service room behind the tank.

Problems I have ran into so far ..... It's a typical 120 tank 48x24x24 on the original stand. I decided to use a 40 gallon breeder tank for the sump. I had to drop in the breeder from the top by removing the center support for the stand. Then I reinstalled it and placed and leveled the tank.

I've had some height issues. The breeder tank is tall and doesn't give me a lot of room to work. It was a real trick to get the skimmer in and out but I have just enough room.

Pictures to follow are the breeder tank with acrylic bubble traps, dual return pumps and several plumbing photos.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455026557.788062.jpg

A basic sketch of the pipe work. As you can see with this layout I have many many options and how to run the system. Just by either opening or closing certain ball valves I can run many different arrangements.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that I have my plumbing done I'm ready to move forward... The next logical step would be to make the highest quality water that I can. I've ordered this spectrapure product and expect delivery very soon! Is is wrong to get excited about RODI?? I think not! Lol

I made a decision to go with quality over quantity... I did a lot of research and spectrapure was the right company for me. The company has extremely high standards , have been in business for a very long time and were a pleasure to order from!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1455228029.472376.jpg

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OVERVIEW:
SpectraPure[emoji768] 6-Stage Chloramine Removal Super-DI System w/ ChlorKiller Reverse Osmosis followed by SilicaBuster[emoji769] & MaxCap[emoji768] Dual DI stages
Includes SpectraSelect-Plus 90-gpd 99% Rejection RO membrane, 3-stage ChlorKiller Pre-Filtration, 2 Stages of High-Capacity DI, Dual-Point TDS monitoring, Pressure Gauge, & Automatic Shutoff Valve w/ Float Switch

This 2-Part system consists of a 4-Stage "ChlorKiller" RO System w/ Manual Membrane Flush, coupled with a 2-Stage SilicaBuster[emoji769]/MaxCap[emoji768] High-Capacity Deionization System. Together, these component systems create an exceptional 6-Stage RO/DI-System that will provide the end user with an endless supply of ultra-pure deionized water.

FEATURES:
- Suitable for areas with high levels of chloramines or chlorine in the tapwater
- Manual Membrane Flush increases membrane life & 3:1 Waste Ratio produces 33% less waste water
- 4-Stage RO System w/ Superior Prefiltration & 99% Rejection SpectraSelect-Plus RO Membrane - 2-Stage Deionization System w/ SilicaBuster[emoji769] & MaxCap[emoji768] High-Capacity DI Cartridges
- Multi-Point TDS Monitoring
- 0.2 Micron (Absolute) ZetaZorb Sediment Cartridge works in the worst sediment-challenged areas
- High-capacity 0.5 micron carbon block pre-filter eliminates chlorine, herbicides and other organic pollutants
- 1.0 micron Pentek Chlor-Plus carbon block filter cartridge especially designed for chlorine and chloramine removal
- 90-GPD SpectraSelect-Plus RO Membrane 99% Rejection RO Membrane - RO System Pressure Gauge measures membrane pressure level and helps indicate when to change prefilters
- Clear filter housings & durable, no rust mounting brackets
- Housing wrench for easy filter removal
- Tubing, Fittings, and Garden Hose Adapter included

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately following i have a 120 same as your dual overflows in the center. I'm building a custom stand for it because i needed more space below for the sump. The plumbing is what i'm confused about how i will move forward. More PVC for Dual overflows as opposed to One just don't want to much crazy piping going on.

Same tank and stand as you i believe. My stand just does not have enough height underneath. Will paint the trim on the tank Black.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it crazy piping going on.... YES... Lol it didn't have to be. That was my choice, but as you can see all the piping for me has some added benefits with versatility.

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it crazy piping going on.... YES... Lol it didn't have to be. That was my choice, but as you can see all the piping for me has some added benefits with versatility.

Yeah yours works for you because of that little room behind wall. I don't have that luxury unfortunately. I want to try and keep it simple but not sure how exactly i will achieve that. Not looking forward to watching my bank account diminish quickly.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately following i have a 120 same as your dual overflows in the center. I'm building a custom stand for it because i needed more space below for the sump. The plumbing is what i'm confused about how i will move forward. More PVC for Dual overflows as opposed to One just don't want to much crazy piping going on.

Same tank and stand as you i believe. My stand just does not have enough height underneath. Will paint the trim on the tank Black.

Yes I believe they are identical... I used to have a Tidepool sump and that fit fine. Stand height would have made it a lot easier for me but I worked with what I had and I made it work.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah yours works for you because of that little room behind wall. I don't have that luxury unfortunately. I want to try and keep it simple but not sure how exactly i will achieve that. Not looking forward to watching my bank account diminish quickly.

You could always use the barb fitting bulkheads for your drilled tank and run that braided hose instead of pvc....

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well i'll be watching your thread, maybe we can bounce some ideas off each other. Trust me i would of loved to use the original stand. I could of saved money and time but i know down the road i'd be mad at myself for not giving myself more space underneath for maintenance and cleaning. Also hinders the timeframe of getting this up and running.

I like PVC just looks cleaner. I have the Trigger Systems 36" Ruby for my Sump

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%

Back