The Best Home Reef Aquarium Video Ever

Tony@D-D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all, im glad you like David's aquarium, my name is Tony and i work for D-D The Aquarium Solution as part of the online Tech support team. David has seen this thread and he thanks everyone that has replied. He will be contacting me shortly to answer the questions on the thread which i will relay here on his behalf.

Best regards Tony

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diversity in Saxby's tank surpasses all in regards to fish and coral! Such a well done video!!!

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Such an amazing tank... truly looks like a piece of the ocean.

yifan917

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is certainly the best reef tank I have ever seen. EVERYTHING in the tank is so beautiful and healthy. Keeping these animals alive is one thing, but keeping them alive and thriving is a different level, especially when you have a diversified reef.

Would like to know more about the closed loop system, tried to get the idea from the article but it was really hard to imagine. Any pictures or drawings? And what does it take to maintain a reef tank that's four feet deep? The sand and glass are just spotless. the corals were mounted very nicely as well, how did you place them so well on the bottom?

Thank you!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is not the size of the tank, the amount of corals and fish that is amazing to me, that is just money. What is more amazing is the filtration system and the amount of water you do not see to keep that many fish in that area. It may be a large display but it is still small for the amount of fish and amount of food. His equipment is amazing. One of my favorite tanks and I have been following it a long time.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has to be the best in home reef aquarium video I have ever seen! The video was produced by Maidenhead Aquatics in the UK.

The reef of David Saxby 2017.

Wow wow wow. So informative, beautiful tankthank you so much for Sharing

Tony@D-D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Reef 2 Reef

David has contacted me this morning and thanks you all for your comments.

There will be a new technical video released on the D-D website shortly that David will be producing and supervising himself, it will be a highly technical presentation that will include many schematically correct computer generated drawings to represent David’s aquariums unique construction. The video will be made available shortly ( 2 - 6 weeks )
Rest assured we will post the new video here for all at Reef 2 Reef to view once its released and we will be uploading it to D-D’s own website at http://www.theaquariumsolution.com

As an example of part of David’s system and to provide a snippet of what’s to come the sump rooms are at least 40 meters ( 43 yards ) away from the main aquarium and run outside the apartment and reside in historic vaults that are sited under the road, to allow water to be pumped from the display aquariums own sump under the tank and back David has designed a two way fool proof pumping system to balance the amount of water that gets pumped to and from the sump room .

Due to the fact that the sump room is so far from the tank one cannot simply rely on gravity to move water from the main tank to the sumps as one would normally, indeed as the sump rooms floor level is only around 50” lower than the aquariums own local sump level and much of the pipework runs up into the ceiling cavities so totally ruling the option out so a balanced pumping system had to be designed from scratch . That system itself is worthy of its own explanation and as I say this will all become clear in the up and coming presentation, there are a couple of the technical drawings in the current video but as I say the new video will be far more content rich in that regard so ’stay tuned’.

The new video will also be published in HD and will include improved colour rendition and white balance.

David’s ethic at D-D has always been to bring products into the hobby that are technically innovative and make our lives as hobbyists easier. Rowaphos was one of the first products David brought to the hobby some 15 years ago when D-D was first set up, before the availability of Rowaphos it was almost impossible to control Phosphate in home marine aquaria making it impossible to grow SPS corals with even a small bio load due to the nutrient levels building up within the closed system and Phosphate pollution. This was the main reason why SPS corals were seldomly made available for sale at the time due to very poor survival rates in captivity .Lower Phosphate levels also meant Rowaphos could be used as a tool to control nuisance algae and a way to overcome an aquarium full of said algae, something modern aquarists do not have to deal with today. There are many spin off products available today that try to match Rowaphos but it is the original and still the best.

We now have a very large product catalogue of D-D’s own products that include our own Premium H2Ocean Reef salt which David uses on this aquarium exclusively , Aquascape coral putty and the new line of D-D Reef-Pro aquariums that are available to purchase within Europe to name but a few, we also distribute premium line aquatic brands throughout Europe such as Deltec, Aqua Illumination, Polyp-Lab and Abyzz.

On this tank there are some 12 Abyzz pumps running on the display aquarium, these are silent high powered pumps allowing you to sit in the same room without any pump noise, it would not be possible to run a reef tank of this size in a home environment without them..

David has also also been deeply involved with R&D at Aqua Illumination providing feedback of his own findings with regards to growth and colour of corals under different Spectra and also helping to formulate new product versions such as D-D’s exclusive Hydra 52 EU version that was available to the U.K and Europe and leading to the outstanding colour and spectral output of the current HD models.

D-D only ever offer products that have been approved by David and ones that he has used personally .

David would also like me to comment on the post about coral placement, as David’s tank is very deep ( 4 feet deep ) he employs a couple of methods to mount his corals but in the main this involves using Epoxy based putties such as Aquascape and mounting and propping the corals up whilst the epoxy sets with long stainless steel rods that are around 1/4 each in diameter. Each rod will have a different end depending on the job in had, some have a hook like end , some have a point and so on and so forth. After the epoxy has set the rods are removed.

At D-D we are all Reef keepers and have a great passion for the hobby and we hope that this passion is obvious when viewing David’s own tank and also Stuart Bertram’s aquarium ( Co-Director at D-D)

All the best to you all

Tony and behalf of David Saxby and D-D The aquarium solution

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing video and tank, pretty good to see someone still have so much passion for the hobby whilst running a business in the industry.

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is great. The life in that aquarium is over the top. I need a 24 hour feed from it so I can watch at work :)

obct537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's really inspiring.......Can't imagine I'll ever quite reach that level of expertise, but some day, I hope to at least get close :) Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go to the fish store with a wheelbarrow of cash :p

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing....

Anytime someone argues that LEDs can't grow corals, there will only be one reply from me for now on: David Saxby.

Tony@D-D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

A couple of images with new live rock aquascape going through the initial algae phases back in Nov 2014 .

The structure was sketched out before and huge pieces of live rock ordered in especially to suit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi

A couple of images with new live rock aquascape going through the initial algae phases back in Nov 2014 .

The structure was sketched out before and huge pieces of live rock ordered in especially to suit.

Simply amazing! That rock photo puts things a little more in perspective s well. We have seen HUGE tanks but I have never seen one on this magnificent a scale in terms of coral, fish and overall health!

Thank you Tony and David for sharing this with us! We look forward to more information, photos and videos!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I should change the title to Best Home Reef Aquarium Video AND REEF Ever! ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back