The greatest aquarium gadget I ever owned? Thoughts for MACNA...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, yeah- we're getting ready for MACNA and it's been a bit hectic...I'll definitely get a blog or two up this week, but in the mean time, it's been 50,000 things at once...you know how that goes, right?

Our Director of Wholesale Operations, Dave Botwin, thought it would be fun to take a time out and do a quick video stroll down one of our 30 foot long raceways...Gives you kind of an idea as to the diversity of our inventory...and perhaps, a sneak peak of some of the stuff we're bringing to MACNA. Check it out here:

https://www.facebook.com/uniquecorals?ref=hl

Mind you, we are not going to MACNA just to sell corals...We do that every day. Most important will be just saying hi to our customers and passing out free stuff! If you're there, take a few minutes to stop by and say hi!

Oh, and since MACNA to me has actually never been about just buying corals- it's been more about cool gadgets and stuff, it gave me pause to reflect about aquarium gadgets...Someone asked me recently what my favorite piece of aquarium gear of all time was. It took my like three seconds to formulate the answer- My Tetra "Luft" air pump. Probably the greatest piece of aquarium equipment I've ever owned...I've written about this pump before, and I'll do it again. It's simply the GREATEST!

Mind you, "greatness" comes in many packages, many forms. In sports, hockey legend Wayne Gretzky earned the title, “The Great One” during his long and storied NHL career. One of my personal sports heroes, Gretzky holds 61 records for his amazing accomplishments, and easily earned his nickname. In the aquarium hobby, it’s tough to earn the rating of “good”, let alone, “great”. However, I think that I own a product that has safely earned the title of “The Greatest One”.

Set the "Way Back Machine" for the 1980's...

The year was 1981, and this teenage fish geek needed to make what was then a major purchase for my hobby- a strong, reliable air pump to power my Necktonics undergravel filter in my 20 gallon marine tank, complete with two Blue Damselfish, a Percula Clown, and an H. crispa anemone, which “thrived” under my DIY triple Vita Lite fluorescent fixture. (Actually, I think it did thrive- had it for over 7 years before I gave it to a friend.). I was sick of unreliable, cheap pumps, so in scanning my well-worn copies of FAMA magazine, I saw an ad for mail order firm Aqua Engineers (Remember them? They were the Marine Depot of their day.). They had a lot of air pumps-but they also had THE pump. The one every fish geek at the time loved.

After much research, and a lot of saving, I decided to make a big investment (I think it was like $19.95) in a Tetra “Luft” pump. This was a huge move for the time- the Luft was the Vortech MP60 of its day- the European high-tech answer to the American “Silent Giant” air pump (remember that one?). The little brown Teutonic wunderkind delivered large quantities of air in near silence- a HUGE plus when your aquarium was in your bedroom! With a simple twist of a rheostat, the mighty Luft could be cranked up to deliver precise volumes of air effortlessly up to 7 psi. I had the Porsche of air pumps- and I was still in high school!

luft-pump-air-coralife-tetra.jpg

The "greatest" one, for sure...

The little German workhorse powered tank after tank, delivering air to everything from my killifish breeding setup to brine shrimp hatcheries, even going to work on my quarantine tank (thanks to fancy air management with sexy plastic gang valves). And yes- I had a QT even back then!

The dawn of MTV, “Reaganomics”, Max Headroom, college, the fall of the Berlin Wall, The Gulf War, the “Grunge” movement, the “dot.com” boom and bust, two major earthquakes, several relationships, 4 different houses, every MACNA ever, the new millennium, 9/11, three wars, 5 U.S. Presidents, the inception of Unique Corals, and literally thousands upon thousands of hours of operation.

My little brown Luft has seen all of these things, faithfully and silently cranking out air.

Right now, it’s working on a small freshwater tank, where it’s been in more-or-less continuous operation for over 5 years.

In fact, this small wonder has worked continuously in one capacity or another for 32 years, a longevity/reliability record few products in any industry could match! Short of rinsing the little air filter that slips on to the bottom of the pump every so many years (or when I remember to do it), I have not had to do any maintenance.

Unfortunately, the pump is no longer marketed under the Tetra name, but the design has apparently been repackaged by another manufacturer- but it’s still called the “Luft” pump- still brown, and still amazing. It operates under a wide variety of conditions, and represents-to me- the pinnacle of air pump design and engineering.

I swear, this thing will outlive me. Talk about value for the dollar! It’s been worth every cent- although the price tag, when I Iast checked- was a dizzying $53.99! Greatness has always come at a price, I suppose. And then again, I haven’t had to purchase an air pump for 28 years, so what the heck do I know?

We all have our favorite product, be it a protein skimmer, insane reactor, high-tech powerhead, LED fixture, etc. Mine...is just a humble air pump. Well, not just an air pump. It’s a noble and reliable little device that has powered my aquatic hopes and dreams for almost three decades. A family heirloom. It’s not just a piece of aquarium equipment- it’s a part of my family!

Live long and prosper, my little brown friend.

To me, you are truly the Greatest one!

Yeah, MACNA is a time to reflect on glories of the past, and promises for the future..What great hobby toy will YOU pick up this year?

Till next time….

Stay Wet.
Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

luft-pump-air-coralife-tetra.jpg

Last edited:

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite was my 1979 tunze skimmer, my luft pump (30 years constant use) and my floating hydrometer

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my old girl. It need a rebuild... only works at high speed after I give it a few wacks....Probably because I have not used it enough lately. I was always jealous because mine did not have a number dial like other ones.
This one must be close to 30 years old also. Started life powering UG filter. Had one of those fancy little brass air manifolds to divide the air up.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409014301.977927.jpg

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for my favorite gadget right now... it's not really a price of aquarium equipment but I really live my remote IP web camera . The ability to see your sump and your live stock from anywhere in the world with a cell or internet connection is awesome!!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my old girl. It need a rebuild... only works at high speed after I give it a few wacks....Probably because I have not used it enough lately. I was always jealous because mine did not have a number dial like other ones.
This one must be close to 30 years old also. Started life powering UG filter. Had one of those fancy little brass air manifolds to divide the air up.

Nice! And, yeah, I found out that giving the pump a whack or two does help from time to time...Strange but true..gotta love it!

-Scott

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had a similar experience having one in operation from 1985-2012. It did finally die but as you said what a bang for the buck. Unfortunately the new make is not the same (certainly looks the same) and can be expected to run a year or two. I have been through several in the past years. Give the one you have a good rubdown and a good talking too and hope it runs for many more to come.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have 3 luft pumps... I don't know what to do with them, but I have them and they still work! Mine are only about 27 years old and served to power many sponge filters in Tanganyican fry tanks when I was breeding cichlids at 12 years old.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have 3 luft pumps... I don't know what to do with them, but I have them and they still work! Mine are only about 27 years old and served to power many sponge filters in Tanganyican fry tanks when I was breeding cichlids at 12 years old.

Another amazing story of the duration of these pumps...Reminds me of the venerable B52 bomber...Built in the 1950's, and still expected to be in the Air Force arsenal through 2040...crazy!

Usaf.Boeing_B-52.jpg

Usaf.Boeing_B-52.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back