The Hall High Coral Project presents OCEAN NIGHT- June 7th, 2019

Waz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers!
Do you care about corals? Consider coming out to West Hartford on June 7th, 2019 from 6-9pm for a night of coral conservation. We have LOTS going on! Mainly, there will be a screen of the documentary Chasing Coral. But that's not all! We will have a silent auction, art gallery, activities for ALL AGES, food, virtual reality, a photo booth, and much more! It's for ALL AGES too so bring the kids and try yet again to get them into corals as much as you are!

What is Our Goal?
The goal of Ocean Night is to spread awareness of coral reef bleaching caused by climate change, which is leading to the collapse of entire ecosystems in our oceans. We want to educate the community on what corals bring to the world: coastline protection, economics of tourism and commercial fishing, biodiversity, and, of course, beauty. Coral reefs provide a foundation and home to 25% of the fish in the ocean despite covering only 1% of the ocean. Although West Hartford is far away from these amazing ecosystems, we are all connected to these coral reefs. Saving our coral reefs from destruction due to anthropogenic climate change cannot only be the responsibility of scientists and those who live near these ecosystems. Change must come from all of us.
What is the documentary "Chasing Coral"?
Coral reefs around the world are vanishing at an unprecedented rate. "Chasing Coral" documents the journey of a team of divers, photographers, and scientists who set out on a thrilling ocean adventure to reveal this underwater mystery and discover the cause of this cataclysmic ecological event. The film took more than three years to shoot and is the result of 500+ hours of underwater footage, including video submissions of coral reef bleaching from volunteers in 30 countries, as well as support from more than 500 people in various locations around the world. It is a powerful and emotional story of corals that bleached along the Great Barrier Reef—one-third of which died in 2016. The film will be played in the Hall High School auditorium during Ocean Night.

What else can I expect at Ocean Night?
In addition to the film screening, Ocean Night features activities for ALL AGES. Not only is the Hall High Coral Project involved with this event, but multiple elementary schools in West Hartford, clubs, organizations across the state, businesses, are all working together to make this a fun and educational experiences for children and adults in and around the West Hartford community. We are calling this evening a S.T.E.A.M. because it involves Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math!

How is Ocean Night involving Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math?
Science:
Demos and experiments will be conducted on Ocean Night to help attendees of all ages understand coral reef bleaching and the relationship between CO2, pH, and temperature.
Technology: Hall's Technology and Engineering department is hosting a virtual reality station for the community to "dive into the ocean." Experience VR in a session about the ocean and corals!
Engineering: Tank tours of the Hall High Coral Project's coral propagation system will be given throughout the evening to show how we care for and breed corals in the classroom. Students will explain how our system is connected to the Internet in order for us to monitor the aquarium system's health even when we aren't physically in the classroom. We will also show our plans for the new coral propagation system that will be constructed and implemented over the summer of 2019 in room B225. In this system, which is designed to hold 300-400 corals and dozens of fish, sea urchins, and other reef life, we plan to conduct long-term research projects to further understand coral reef bleaching. We hope to help be part of the movement that is building coral reefs to be more heat resistant to higher oceanic temperatures.
Art: Schools around West Hartford are collaborating this year for an Ocean Art Gallery featuring artwork inspired by coral reefs to be featured on Ocean Night. Several elementary schools will display student-created coral art projects created in our activities room and all around the auditorium. High school students and others in the community will feature their coral inspired art in a silent art auction during the evening. The National Art Honors Society at Hall will also showcase their 8x4 foot coral reef mural. Hall High's cooking classes will sell coral-inspired baked goods as well.
Math: Hall's AP Stat classes will present statistical analysis reports on coral reef and climate change data. They will be displaying their work at Ocean Night.

Hope to see you there. Thank you so much!
- Waz
Ocean%20Night%20Poster.png

uc

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back