The inside of natural live rock. I cracked one open. Take a look inside!

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: I chopped off the beginning to get right to the point:

I chopped real natural live rock up for aquascaping about 10 years ago.

I saw a lot of (dying) life on the surface of the rock: sponges, algae, tiny bivalves, tiny worms and other tiny squiggly things were on the rock. I guess all that stuff on the surface was why it was called 'liverock'. But then I thought, why isn't a rock covered in algae from a pond called "liverock" as well? There's life on it too, I suppose.

2 firm taps with the chisel. It didn't seem very dense. Lo and behold, I saw the difference. I expected to see solid smooth rock within the liverock. Instead, there was texture: tiny micro-sized bumps and holes. It almost looked like a solidified sponge filled with wet, solidified sand. I poked at the rock and it slightly collapsed inward from my fingertips. It was almost "mushy" to a tiny degree. Hard to describe. The innards of the rock were mostly a very uniform white, off-white or pale yellow in color, except for the gradual darkening in the hue of yellow the deeper you progressed.

Before I was able to find a magnifying glass, within 30 seconds of the incident, I noticed the the entire newly exposed cross-section slowly turn into whitish grey and black. I didn't know why it was happening. Was it a chemical reaction? I hypothesized that micro organisms such as bacteria were dying or affected by the sudden exposure to the light or the air (oxygen?). It was literally within 30 seconds.

I assumed (as a reefer-chemist/reefer biologist; i.e. NOT a chemist. NOT a biologist), those areas that changed color within the rock were anoxic zones. Could they have been filled with obligate anaerobic bacteria and other organisms that perished when exposed to air? Can any real scientists here chime in? (*ahem @Randy Holmes-Farley ) Or was it an inorganic chemical reaction with the minerals and the newly exposed air?

liverock1.jpg

Eventually, that entire newly exposed cross-section turned completely blackish grey, with tiny white and grey flecks throughout. The upper right looks light grey or white, but its not. That's from the glare.

What was interesting was the thin uniform border, only millimeters beneath the surface, all around the perimeter of the new cross-section. It retained the same, pale yellow color that the inside of the liverock once was.

Photo below of another real liverock I chopped.

liverock2.jpg

I was curious to see the innards of manmade rock from Marco a few years later, when they started popping up. When I broke one with a chisel, It was much more dense. Once it cracked open, a puff of white powder exploded in my face. Looking at the cross-section of the marco rocks, I saw that it was completely solid and smooth. I wish I took a photo of the chopped manmade Marco rock. But I was too blind. In the middle of the rock, I saw what exploded the white puff-bomb in my face. There was a giant air pocket bubble and bits of whitish powder left, which I assumed was uncured/unbaked cement or aragonite or whatever it was made of. There are no anaerobic capabilities in modern day manmade rocks. Even the Florida aquacultured rocks from Tampa bay is superficially covered with life. But I chopped one in half, and it was just solid rock. I think those rocks are mined from the land and dropped into the ocean.

It would be interesting to manufacture "liverock 2.0" using the same materials and goals as the Bio NO Bricks by brightwell or other manufacturers for true denitrification. Just shape the bricks into the shapes of liverock. Liverock needs true denitrification capabilities!

I guess the erosion rate of the bricks is a concern. It completely erodes within a few years. My 20+ year old natural liverock has eroded by approximately 20%. Some of those rocks were even bigger 20 years ago than the photos show. The photos below the current tank are about 10 years old. A big chunk of the main pile of liverock in the middle left is one giant 70+ lbs fiji liverock. or it was 70lbs once. heh. The most obvious erosion comparison is the lone island to the right. That one is about 15 years old from marshall island or vanautu ( I think)

The top 2 photos are my little reefing world currently transplanted to the Reefer350 (They will have to be transplanted again soon due to a silicone failure in the Reefer.)
The bottom 2 photos are a little over 10 years ago. (I think):
reefer-4.jpg

20220207-175313.jpg

40gallongfts.jpg

DSC-2115.jpg

Here's a video almost 10 years years ago. Compare the sizes of the rocks to now!
Video of tank 2013

Anyway, the takeaway from all this is:
If you can, go to your local reef LFS and see if their liverock bins have any old, natural liverock from tanks that were taken down by reefers. Some natural liverock might actually be just a real solid mineral rock, simply encrusted with calcified skeletons of old corals on the surface. But even if there still exists layers of calcified coral skeletons, there might be facultative or obligate anaerobic bacteria on it. (Any biologists care to chime in? I'm merely a wanna-be-reefer-biologist :) )

But if you are lucky, you just might find the diamond: Real liverock that has similar properties to what I described above. Real 'top-shelf' liverock in my opinion are rocks centuries old, with layers and layers of old calcified skeletons leading to natural porosity deep inside the rock with interconnected 'cells'. This is where the anaerobic bacteria live. Heterotrophic and autotrophic bacteria start from the surface and slightly into the liverock. But as you go deeper and deeper, even though the gases can travel between these microscopic holes, as aerobic autotrophs and heterotrophs utilize the oxygen, eventually deeper down there is no more oxygen. And that is where the homes of our friends, the autotrophic anaerobic bacteria live. These are one of the most important bacteria in liverock as well as your entire reeftank. They are fragile and I believe most of them will die when exposed to oxygen. So please take care of them and take care of the rare natural live rock that you might find one day or have had for a long time.

A tank with only modern day manmade rock will never have true denitrification. I guess without natural liverock, there needs to be another export method of nitrate. Lots of more water changes, a refugium with a lot of macro algae, an algae scrubber, a big protein skimmer to reduce the breakdown of organics which will eventually lead to nitrate, or other denitrification gadget/technology. Definately a few of those brightwell NO Blocks you put in the sump.

I choose a natural liverock, not only for the biodiversity, but because true liverock comes from our motherland: The reefs of the ocean!

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
way, Way, WAY to scientific for me… But I know that “you” know what your are talking about. (LOL). Others here will appreciate it too. Best wishes!

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: I chopped off the beginning to get right to the point:

I chopped real natural live rock up for aquascaping about 10 years ago.

I saw a lot of (dying) life on the surface of the rock: sponges, algae, tiny bivalves, tiny worms and other tiny squiggly things were on the rock. I guess all that stuff on the surface was why it was called 'liverock'. But then I thought, why isn't a rock covered in algae from a pond called "liverock" as well? There's life on it too, I suppose.

2 firm taps with the chisel. It didn't seem very dense. Lo and behold, I saw the difference. I expected to see solid smooth rock within the liverock. Instead, there was texture: tiny micro-sized bumps and holes. It almost looked like a solidified sponge filled with wet, solidified sand. I poked at the rock and it slightly collapsed inward from my fingertips. It was almost "mushy" to a tiny degree. Hard to describe. The innards of the rock were mostly a very uniform white, off-white or pale yellow in color, except for the gradual darkening in the hue of yellow the deeper you progressed.

Before I was able to find a magnifying glass, within 30 seconds of the incident, I noticed the the entire newly exposed cross-section slowly turn into whitish grey and black. I didn't know why it was happening. Was it a chemical reaction? I hypothesized that micro organisms such as bacteria were dying or affected by the sudden exposure to the light or the air (oxygen?). It was literally within 30 seconds.

I assumed (as a reefer-chemist/reefer biologist; i.e. NOT a chemist. NOT a biologist), those areas that changed color within the rock were anoxic zones. Could they have been filled with obligate anaerobic bacteria and other organisms that perished when exposed to air? Can any real scientists here chime in? (*ahem @Randy Holmes-Farley ) Or was it an inorganic chemical reaction with the minerals and the newly exposed air?

liverock1.jpg

Eventually, that entire newly exposed cross-section turned completely blackish grey, with tiny white and grey flecks throughout. The upper right looks light grey or white, but its not. That's from the glare.

What was interesting was the thin uniform border, only millimeters beneath the surface, all around the perimeter of the new cross-section. It retained the same, pale yellow color that the inside of the liverock once was.

Photo below of another real liverock I chopped.

liverock2.jpg

I was curious to see the innards of manmade rock from Marco a few years later, when they started popping up. When I broke one with a chisel, It was much more dense. Once it cracked open, a puff of white powder exploded in my face. Looking at the cross-section of the marco rocks, I saw that it was completely solid and smooth. I wish I took a photo of the chopped manmade Marco rock. But I was too blind. In the middle of the rock, I saw what exploded the white puff-bomb in my face. There was a giant air pocket bubble and bits of whitish powder left, which I assumed was uncured/unbaked cement or aragonite or whatever it was made of. There are no anaerobic capabilities in modern day manmade rocks. Even the Florida aquacultured rocks from Tampa bay is superficially covered with life. But I chopped one in half, and it was just solid rock. I think those rocks are mined from the land and dropped into the ocean.

It would be interesting to manufacture "liverock 2.0" using the same materials and goals as the Bio NO Bricks by brightwell or other manufacturers for true denitrification. Just shape the bricks into the shapes of liverock. Liverock needs true denitrification capabilities!

I guess the erosion rate of the bricks is a concern. It completely erodes within a few years. My 20+ year old natural liverock has eroded by approximately 20%. Some of those rocks were even bigger 20 years ago than the photos show. The photos below the current tank are about 10 years old. A big chunk of the main pile of liverock in the middle left is one giant 70+ lbs fiji liverock. or it was 70lbs once. heh. The most obvious erosion comparison is the lone island to the right. That one is about 15 years old from marshall island or vanautu ( I think)

The top 2 photos are my little reefing world currently transplanted to the Reefer350 (They will have to be transplanted again soon due to a silicone failure in the Reefer.)
The bottom 2 photos are a little over 10 years ago. (I think):
reefer-4.jpg

20220207-175313.jpg

40gallongfts.jpg

DSC-2115.jpg

Here's a video almost 10 years years ago. Compare the sizes of the rocks to now!
Video of tank 2013

Anyway, the takeaway from all this is:
If you can, go to your local reef LFS and see if their liverock bins have any old, natural liverock from tanks that were taken down by reefers. Some natural liverock might actually be just a real solid mineral rock, simply encrusted with calcified skeletons of old corals on the surface. But even if there still exists layers of calcified coral skeletons, there might be facultative or obligate anaerobic bacteria on it. (Any biologists care to chime in? I'm merely a wanna-be-reefer-biologist :) )

But if you are lucky, you just might find the diamond: Real liverock that has similar properties to what I described above. Real 'top-shelf' liverock in my opinion are rocks centuries old, with layers and layers of old calcified skeletons leading to natural porosity deep inside the rock with interconnected 'cells'. This is where the anaerobic bacteria live. Heterotrophic and autotrophic bacteria start from the surface and slightly into the liverock. But as you go deeper and deeper, even though the gases can travel between these microscopic holes, as aerobic autotrophs and heterotrophs utilize the oxygen, eventually deeper down there is no more oxygen. And that is where the homes of our friends, the autotrophic anaerobic bacteria live. These are one of the most important bacteria in liverock as well as your entire reeftank. They are fragile and I believe most of them will die when exposed to oxygen. So please take care of them and take care of the rare natural live rock that you might find one day or have had for a long time.

A tank with only modern day manmade rock will never have true denitrification. I guess without natural liverock, there needs to be another export method of nitrate. Lots of more water changes, a refugium with a lot of macro algae, an algae scrubber, a big protein skimmer to reduce the breakdown of organics which will eventually lead to nitrate, or other denitrification gadget/technology. Definately a few of those brightwell NO Blocks you put in the sump.

I choose a natural liverock, not only for the biodiversity, but because true liverock comes from our motherland: The reefs of the ocean!
Naturally a pretty good read man. hope you can get some answers.

OP
OP
ReeferSamster

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think the next evolution for "manmade artificial rocks" is to emulate natural liverock as much as possible, more than just purple paint to mimic coralline algae. These fakerocks don't really do anything. They are as much part of the nitrogen cycle as the glass walls of the tank, or any exposed superficial surface area. All it does is aerobic nitrate production. I bet a simple sponge has more surface area than these rocks.

The next evolution of artificial rocks should complete the nitrogen cycle, as did the natural liverock. And who knows what other anaerobic or low oxygen type organisms can live deep inside that increase your biodiversity, filling other gaps in organic compound processes.
I hope Brightwell and and other bio-brick manufacturers are reading this. Let's move forward! Make bio-bricks with longevity, and shape them into the shapes of current day fakerock! (Please don't paint it purple)

Actually, do we have any substantial scientific studies showing that the bio-bricks have any denitrification properties? Sorry I never had the need to purchase one, so I don't know much about the bio-bricks,

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dark color is likely metal sulfides.

Hydrogen Sulfide and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I had also heard that live rock sometimes can be shown to have internal sulfide deposits. To test this idea, I decided to break open some of the live rock that had been in the tank. Figure 7 shows a typical rock that I examined. As mentioned above, it was wild rock collected from Florida about 10 years ago. It was a uniform tan color on the outside, and had not been buried under the sand. Upon breaking it open with a hammer (Figure 8), it is clear that there are some grayish sulfide deposits in it (Figure 9), but they do not occupy the rock's entire interior. These deposits did not smell, but are probably metal sulfides nevertheless.

Figure 9. A close-up of one of the fractured rocks from
Figure 8. The dark band suggests metal sulfide deposits.

1647434908126.png

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to pop in real fast an ask a really basic (compared to all these replies) question. First, I heard from YouTube, I believe FishOfHex, that dead rock can be cured but will still have “mistakes of the past” lingering inside of it. Essentially saying if you have live rock in your tank for many years that you’ve made mistakes with, say nutrients for example, and then you sell that rock 3 years later after it’s dried up, whoever cures and then uses that rock will suddenly have major/minor nutrient issues within their tank because that old rock held onto all those “mistakes” and I’m curious if this is really true.
Second, when it comes to dry rock, like Marco rock, or even the tan colored dry rock with the red spots on it (I have this and the LFS stated it was dry rock sprayed with dormant bacteria but I have no proof to support this), will it always be less beneficial overall due to the lack of anaerobic bacteria living in it, as stated above? Why would there be no possibility of this bacteria forming like the bacteria that forms during an initial cycle? Why cant this anaerobic bacteria form inside the dry manmade rock over time, just like it did in the ocean? If it does form, I’d like to know how long it would take to populate if anyone knows the answer.

Side note: I love science. I’m obsessed with space sciences and chemistry primarily, but I’ve been extremely fascinated by the microbiology, reef chemistry, and biology discussed on R2R and I don’t feel I am fully capable of maintaining a “perfect” reef (I know it’ll never really be perfect haha) until I understand how it’s life functions, nor will I be equipped to manage the chemical/nutrient aspect completely.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to pop in real fast an ask a really basic (compared to all these replies) question. First, I heard from YouTube, I believe FishOfHex, that dead rock can be cured but will still have “mistakes of the past” lingering inside of it. Essentially saying if you have live rock in your tank for many years that you’ve made mistakes with, say nutrients for example, and then you sell that rock 3 years later after it’s dried up, whoever cures and then uses that rock will suddenly have major/minor nutrient issues within their tank because that old rock held onto all those “mistakes” and I’m curious if this is really true.
Second, when it comes to dry rock, like Marco rock, or even the tan colored dry rock with the red spots on it (I have this and the LFS stated it was dry rock sprayed with dormant bacteria but I have no proof to support this), will it always be less beneficial overall due to the lack of anaerobic bacteria living in it, as stated above? Why would there be no possibility of this bacteria forming like the bacteria that forms during an initial cycle? Why cant this anaerobic bacteria form inside the dry manmade rock over time, just like it did in the ocean? If it does form, I’d like to know how long it would take to populate if anyone knows the answer.

Side note: I love science. I’m obsessed with space sciences and chemistry primarily, but I’ve been extremely fascinated by the microbiology, reef chemistry, and biology discussed on R2R and I don’t feel I am fully capable of maintaining a “perfect” reef (I know it’ll never really be perfect haha) until I understand how it’s life functions, nor will I be equipped to manage the chemical/nutrient aspect completely.
I think that is a myth. If the rock locks stuff inside, why would it release it later?

Dry rock would eventually colonize just like live rock, given access to the right bacteria.

Don't believe everything your LFS tells you.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, my pieces of Marco rock have WAY more surface area than my natural dry rock. The natural rock is very thick and dense.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid inside of rock means that this piece is not natural rock, in terms what we need and want in this hobby.

Real rock from reef are so light and porous, that its very hard to crack it, it always shatter in pieces when hit by hammer.... Because interior is not solid.

Also, take small piece of rock, put it in muriatic acid... If rock is not totaly dissolved in matter of minutes, u guess.... Its not real deal.....

Average size rock, say ball size, is very light, mostly below 1kg, i had dry pieces, very big, with weight app 0.5kg....

Thats why i newer understood when someone says i have 40,50kg or rock in tank.....

Or course, heavier and less porous rock still can be used, in most cases with no visible difference, but, so many things nowdays is sell by live rock, dry or wet.....

Good example was aquaroche ceramic modules, very popular years ago, they were light, very porous... Not sure what happened to them.....

Other man made rock i ignored simply based on answer to question - how many pieces are in 10kg box?

If answer is - few pieces, then i pass it, 10kg of real stuff is minimum 10 very large rocks, not 2 medium rock and some rubble ;)

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is a myth. If the rock locks stuff inside, why would it release it later?

Dry rock would eventually colonize just like live rock, given access to the right bacteria.

The “bacteria sprayed” rock I have is extremely solid inside. It’s very hard to crack and it’s nothing like the Marco rock. It makes me wonder what it’s actually made from. About the leaching - I’m not sure why they do it but the YouTuber said he was having problems because of this exact reason.
If anyone wants to see the rocks I’m referring to, please let me know. They are all broken up due to my recent aquascape completion.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where ya gonna get it?
One of the many aquacultured live rock vendors on the internet. KP Aquatics is one.

Although we can’t get the holy grail stuff from the pacific any more I have had good luck with both Keys and Gulf rock. Plus I always keep an eye out for wild collected/aquacultured corals from the Pacific. A lot of the time they are grown or harvested on nice little chunks of OG live rock from the regions they are collected from.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It has to do with calcium carbonate precipitation onto the rock; Phosphate binds to this precipitation and under the right conditions will be released back into the water. People refer to it as leeching. If you buy used rock from someone who had out of control nutrients then you are potentially transferring their water quality issues into your tank. That's why people "cure" rock by running it in its own container for months and performing a bunch of water changes. That's about the extent of my understanding of it.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This also explains more as to why so many new reefers have so many problems compared to us old skool guys who tossed a bunch of good LR in the tank and ran along trouble-free.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the many aquacultured live rock vendors on the internet. KP Aquatics is one.

Although we can’t get the holy grail stuff from the pacific any more I have had good luck with both Keys and Gulf rock. Plus I always keep an eye out for wild collected/aquacultured corals from the Pacific. A lot of the time they are grown or harvested on nice little chunks of OG live rock from the regions they are collected from.
What I meant was it's illegal to "harvest" natural live rock in the US and most of the Caribbean. Any "natural" live rock is being placed in the water and allowed to mature in the ocean, but even that is tepid and unclear on legality due to needing a "sovereign land lease".

I'm all for all natural from the ocean live rock, but the truth is it's basically impossible to get it unless you go scuba and steal it under the cover of darkness.

Here's florida's whole schpiel:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand how it’s life functions, nor will I be equipped to manage the chemical/nutrient aspect completely.
Old rock can have a lot of phosphate bound to the calcium carbonate surfaces, even if it looks clean. Nitrate does not do that.

Metals such as copper may also be an issue.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 38 38.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back