Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing the update.

Procrastination sometimes pays off...

What can you do with a "leaky" 300g behemoth? We looked into recycling and found it was not an option. The experts we talked with suggested the ideal solution would be to find someone who would take the tank to either re-build (quite a job there) or use it as a reptile habitat. Otherwise, we were looking at hauling it to the dump. Weeks of fretting, turned into months of avoidance while the tank sat on the stand. Fast forward to the beginning of December 2015 and we knew we could not put it off any longer.

With help from reef club friends and neighbors, the tank was loaded into the back of our pickup truck where it sat for about a week. After posting a final plea on our local reef club's forum and not expecting anyone to "bite", we got a PM asking if the tank was still available. On Dec. 15th, the tank went to it's new home to become an upgraded habitat for a growing bearded dragon. We could not be happier with the outcome!

With the old tank gone, it was time to determine how to best accommodate the (2) Reef Savvy Ghost overflow boxes. Since the back wall butts up against our downstairs bath and laundry rooms, cutting a tank sized hole in the wall was not a feasible option.

Using a wall and pipe inspection camera to look inside the back wall, we determined there was no electrical wiring or any pipes in the areas where the ghost overflows would be. We also took a good look at the back wall and it was obvious that 4 years of constant splashing from our highly active fish (the wrasses in particular) had taken a toll. Salt had seeped through the paint and primer and into the drywall and would need to be replaced.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing the update.

The real work begins...

After much discussion, we decided it would be best to have the external portion of the Reef Savvy overflow boxes sit inside the back wall with an access panel to each from the other side of the wall (one in bath and the other in the laundry room).

To make this happen required cutting two studs that were in the way and adding headers for structural support.

Since we needed to replace the damaged drywall anyway, we decided to tile the back wall. The drywall was replaced with HardieBacker board from end to end and several inches above the splash area from the old tank. We left openings for the overflow boxes, as well as the return lines so that the tank could sit as close to the back wall as possible.

A closeup of the mosaic accent tiles:

At first glance, the subway tiles look like travertine, but are a very nice quality porcelain. The mosaic accent tiles are a mix of stone and glass. Brad Syphus suggested that we use Maipei Ultracolor epoxy grout and since he is the tile expert, that's what we went with. It took a lot of rinsing to remove all of the residue, but we are very pleased with the result.

After trying out 12 different paint color samples (several shades of grey and various brown tones) we found the dark grey looked best.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tile work! This is going to be epic!

Smiley31-1_zpsnb9tyvga.gif

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This shot was taken after cutting out the closed loop holes and before final placement and screw down of the 3/4" plywood top.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing subjects for a bit, we have been gathering new rock and structures in preparation for the "new scape" and plan to use a blend of Reef Rock 2.1 (55lbs), Real Reef live shelf rock (110 lbs), VidaRock and a nice bonsai structure that we just picked up from West Mariculture.

Reef Rock 2.1 just out of the box:

And here's the bonsai structure from West Mariculture - Love it!:

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a shot of the Reef Rock 2.1, Real Reef Shelf and VidaRock branch rock percolating in the 180g stock vat:

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, your tank prior to the tank failure is one of the very best I've ever seen. Certainly worthy of TOTM

The new tank looks great and the remodeling of the fish room is no less then "brilliant"!! You have outstanding taste. Very much looking forward to updates and thrilled I'm subscribed. Get that beast WET!!

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah! The tile wall is amazing. You guys are so handy! The reef savvy tank is just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!!!

Lbfnp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, beautiful. Having been following through both tank failures and don't know if I would stay in the hobby after all that. This is going to be an epic build and will be following.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I am so glad to see you guys progressing with the new tank after all you went through. Y'all always do things excellent and this new system is no exception!

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about your 300. I can't imagine.
Congrats on the new build! The tile is amazing and love the bonsai structure.

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've followed your tanks for years and I'll be enjoying the progression on this one! Glad to see you went with a bomb proof tank!!!

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I can't believe you had a SECOND blowout with marine land, after my 120 I was so scared getting a second one, and now y'all got me worried lol.

But glad y'all are still goin! That new tank looks insane!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back