The latest From UA

Anchor10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All...

I'm seeing a lot of dated discussion about UA and thought I would jump in and give you all an update. Sam and I bought the store from Chris in late March and we've been in the transition process ever since.

It's been a lot of work, a lot of fun and a bit of expense as we re-build inventory and try to put our own "stamp" on the store --(Chris hit a deer with the van for our service accounts and we just got it back and registered with DMV -- just a "for instance.") though there will be no significant changes.

We have ventured down the road of adding high end rare African cichlids to the store -- but at the end of the day I'll be surprised if we really do -- unless we see some significant interest.

We are hoping to add a complete Nano section to the store, and we hope to up the lps and sps inventory significantly.

We've been shopping around for some new dry goods, and added doo dads like frag mags, and upgrade kits for maxi jets.

We got in a beautiful shipment from ORA just in time for Memorial Day weekend, as well as some unusual fish from Pacific Aqua farms. ( We will be open Sunday the 25th -- even though it's a holiday. We are always open on Sundays now from 1-5 pm. -- One of the changes.

If there is a product or animal you would like to see in the store -- please let Sam or me know... We are here to serve our fellow reefers.

If we haven't met be sure to introduce yourself. I'm usually the one who's there on Sunday!

John Carlin

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey John. Thank you for the update. Any chance that you all are keeping the UA site up? I liked the fact that you could see some of what Chris had to offer via the internet. I am particularly interested in some nice paly colonies. Also at one time Chris had a green polyp'd toadstool. Any of those there? Frag mags are a great addition as I was just looking at the southernr guy that has the corner ones for a great price. I'm glad you all are settling in nicely. I personally don't have an interest in freshwater or know of anyone, but I guess that adds diversity to the business. Does that mean you will carry FW stuff?

I am looking for a really small tank like a 4 or 5 galon. I want to make my daughter a pico reef for her room. I have everything else just not the glass cage. DO you all have anything like that.

Again thanks for the update!! I'm on this site way more than RC. Its just too much of the same thing over there...

Oh..... last thing.. Do you all still have the Phos reactors that Chris had? Trying to remember the name but........ I am also in the market for a Calcium reactor as well. Good luck.

Stephen

OP
OP
A

Anchor10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Stephen..

I can get you one of the pico tanks per your request... tell me what you want and I'll have it in a week. I am also getting in some pico skimmers... Hopefully they will work better than previous designs!

I do have some of the toadstools with green polyps. There are three nice ones as I write this... I have calcium reactors on order should be in today -- and if there is interest from hobbiests can begin stocking them more heavily.

I have just finished negotiations with our website provider to get it back up and running. It now reflects our new hours -- and starting next week should begin to show new stock.

thanks for the interest -- hope you get some sleep!

jc

Last edited:

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good jc!

maybe i'll try to come down on sunday.

i think its a great idea to try and get into the nano market, especially in SWVA. as i'm sure you know, the socioeconomic area of SWVA is not very conductive to a luxery hobby such as saltwater tanks...which can be quite pricey. i think allot of business is lost when customers are told they have to purchase a room full of equipment that totals in the thousands of dollars......its a major turn off.

to be able to lure a large number of potential customers into the hobby via a relatively inexpensive nano tank is much more lucrative for your business than trying to go after a few large tank setups. plus, we know this hobby can be addicting, and nano-tanks are just a gateway to a larger tank in 6months...lol!

btw....chris and i shared allot of hardware setup ideas (especially lighting configurations), so if you ever have any questions just let me know. i also have most of the corals that were in chris's home tank and show tank at the store, and half the corals in his show tank came from me. i told sam to let me know when your store show tank is up and running and we will try to get some very nice corals in there just like i did with chris.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anchor10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool!

Thanks for the support. The show tank is up and running. It's a 125 with HO T-5's on it... It could use some love!

As to the nanos... That section is coming soon... We have already received some new nano skimmers -- I'm anxious to try one to see how well they work. It's a needle wheel design so it should be an imporvement over previous efforts!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back