OP
OP
BrotatoSalad

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still going well as far as I'm concerned. Bottomed out nutrients are persistent but the coral is gaining more color back, though it's slowed down a bit on noticeable change. I'd say there's an increase in color about once every other week at this point.

Unfortunately I lost my goby. The pistol shrimp is still alive since I can hear him pop every once in a while, but I'm starting to think my rockwork is causing a real estate issue and my Banggai cardinal reclaims the territory from whoever sets up camp in it. I'm going to leave the tank as is fish-wise unless I add more rockwork to the tank.

The acro frag has continued basing out and shows good PE which is great. Copepods are still the only clean up crew in the tank and whatever they leave I clean up with a toothbrush. Honestly a bit of turf-like algae doesn't bother me much though.

An update on the coralline in a bottle product (ArcReef) I got; it didn't work. I followed the directions exactly and after all this time, with a basing out acro, still no coralline algae. I wanted to test it the best I could without any other sources for coraline (within reason) and there isn't a spec of the stuff anywhere. Kind of a genius thing to sell. It works for some but who knows if the algae came in on a frag or shell. For those that it doesn't work for must have issues with their tank, lighting, stability. With my tank having a growing acro in it I'm not convinced the issue is on my side, though it's possible I guess.

I'd attach a pic of the tank but it honestly looks exactly the same outside of some more basing on the coral. Once I'm out of the holiday spending time of the year I might be adding one or two more frags.

I'll be sure to update if anything major happens but really it's been slow and steady. Just enjoying the ride.

OP
OP
BrotatoSalad

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still up! I've been busy with a new job and a few other things but I've maintained weekly water changes and such. To this day, the tank has had either no nutrients, or insanely low to the point I don't believe the test.

In short, the plan for this tank did not work and I think it was dosing NP Bacto Plus to try and raise nutrients instead of just straight Nitrate and Phosphates. No new corals have been added. Chrysophytes must have been introduced via the AquaForest Life Source mud, and nothing else to fight for real estate has left me with a tank covered in it.

What I believe to be Chrysophytes has also taken over the tank completely. The banggai cardinal was aggressive and tore up anything else that went into the tank. I wouldn't believe it either if I didn't see it myself. The tester acro ended up dying. I've added additional rock to the tank and it was quickly covered in chrysophytes. I added 3 trochus snails with coralline algae to see if I could introduce competition to the chrysophytes. Snails died within a month, BUT one shell still has nice purple coralline on it, but hasn't grown anywhere else yet.

At this point, all that is in the tank is a cleaner shrimp. I returned the banggai to the store. Everything else died.

I've been dosing Algaefix to treat the chrysophytes since the beginning of this year and have just now started seeing my actual rock again. It's incredible how hard this stuff is to get rid of. I was taking a tooth brush to it every water change and there was always a layer left that wouldn't scrape off. If I cleaned the glass, it would reattach itself to the glass as it floated around the tank. Hoping now that some of the rock is exposed coralline will start growing.

I have the neonitro nitrates and phosphates coming in Friday and I'll be slowly dosing up nutrients to see if the chrysophytes die off like I've seen from another thread.

Cyano has appeared on the sand bed which does give me some hope. It was entirely covered with strands of chrysophytes before. So weird to be happy to see cyano but I've dealt with it plenty of times without chemiclean and happy to do it again.

I have attached a way too blue picture and I'll bear my shame and say with certainty the way I went about this tank was NOT effective in the least. Some great lessons learned and I'll keep plugging away at it until it looks nice. I'll be shifting away from acros and get back to some beginner friendly corals.

Stinky gross tank.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still up! I've been busy with a new job and a few other things but I've maintained weekly water changes and such. To this day, the tank has had either no nutrients, or insanely low to the point I don't believe the test.

In short, the plan for this tank did not work and I think it was dosing NP Bacto Plus to try and raise nutrients instead of just straight Nitrate and Phosphates. No new corals have been added. Chrysophytes must have been introduced via the AquaForest Life Source mud, and nothing else to fight for real estate has left me with a tank covered in it.

What I believe to be Chrysophytes has also taken over the tank completely. The banggai cardinal was aggressive and tore up anything else that went into the tank. I wouldn't believe it either if I didn't see it myself. The tester acro ended up dying. I've added additional rock to the tank and it was quickly covered in chrysophytes. I added 3 trochus snails with coralline algae to see if I could introduce competition to the chrysophytes. Snails died within a month, BUT one shell still has nice purple coralline on it, but hasn't grown anywhere else yet.

At this point, all that is in the tank is a cleaner shrimp. I returned the banggai to the store. Everything else died.

I've been dosing Algaefix to treat the chrysophytes since the beginning of this year and have just now started seeing my actual rock again. It's incredible how hard this stuff is to get rid of. I was taking a tooth brush to it every water change and there was always a layer left that wouldn't scrape off. If I cleaned the glass, it would reattach itself to the glass as it floated around the tank. Hoping now that some of the rock is exposed coralline will start growing.

I have the neonitro nitrates and phosphates coming in Friday and I'll be slowly dosing up nutrients to see if the chrysophytes die off like I've seen from another thread.

Cyano has appeared on the sand bed which does give me some hope. It was entirely covered with strands of chrysophytes before. So weird to be happy to see cyano but I've dealt with it plenty of times without chemiclean and happy to do it again.

I have attached a way too blue picture and I'll bear my shame and say with certainty the way I went about this tank was NOT effective in the least. Some great lessons learned and I'll keep plugging away at it until it looks nice. I'll be shifting away from acros and get back to some beginner friendly corals.

Stinky gross tank.jpg
Glad to see the tank is still going!

OP
OP
BrotatoSalad

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less blue photo taken today. Knocked out a water change last night. There’s some bare rock!
IMG_1456.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back