The official NON rinsed sandbed action thread (tank transfers, sand swaps, sand additions and tank upgrades)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok team here it is

for participants who want to test advice to not rinse your sandbed when adding sand to a new tank

or swapping entire reef systems into new setups without any degree of old sandbed cleaning, this is the thread. Every action logged here will be completely unrinsed sand activity

in contrast to:

study that thread before you make a choice to post here. Did we get 58 pages lucking things, or are strict controls in place that you can discern from reading?

If determined to still skip rinsing we want those outcomes patterned here, please add all jobs here where you had the choice to pre rinse your sandbed for a given job but did not.

Non Rinse proponents exist for all aspects of sandbed question posts...for example, search out threads where folks want to add new sand into a tank. The universal recommend is don't pre rinse, the cloud will go away overnite.

or moving homes

you can see people above use up hundreds of collective gallons of tap water pre rinsing old, gunked up sandbeds back to brand new status so there can't be any cycles. It wastes a lot of water if we are just able to bypass the rinse step altogether, test those outcomes here.

The next time someone takes their tank apart to clean out rocks full of algae, put it all back together without rinsing sand so we can track outcomes

*disclaimer

the risk is loss of your investment if it doesnt work, and the gain is you get a skip cycle job done without having to make any rinse effort.

This thread here is for anyone willing to put their tank on the line to forge a simpler path.

Ok go, I'll keep this bumped for the next nine years, or paste it as an alternative into upcoming transfer threads, home moves, sand swaps, let's see who wants their stuff on the line for an easy no work mode.

Anything you do to a reef tank sandbed unrinsed we need that logged here for outcome tracking

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@kris2001 if you add unrinsed sand we'd collect that detail here please update us if you do.

the advice to skip rinsing there is very clear, we need to test it.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are some reason proponents advise non rinsing?

#1 preservation of bacteria. that's tops. rinsing with tap water removes bacteria.

#2 in the majority of cases, the sand really does clear in 48 hours. what we're testing here is how many pages of jobs it takes to find the minority outcome, and how that presents in contrast to rinsed setups above from the first post.

#3 water waste, it takes gallons and gallons of tap water or RO/saltwater to pre rinse sand in various jobs. A huge waste.

#4 saves work time. the rinse steps from post #1 take up to three hours for some tanks, repetitive arduous rinsing for hours on end perhaps can be avoided.

#5. special addition tricks like pvc piping or soda bottle addition trick can lower or lessen clouding, saving the rinse.

know your worst case outcomes
helpful pre modeling trick to save a few of these setups destined for stress: take a clear glass of water and hold it up to the light. put a handful of the sand you're about to use into the glass, is that outcome what you want for your reef tank

if so, proceed and take pics or video so we can track the clearance time, system responses etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats our very first posted work example, a non rinse swap was just completed. we can track that for outcomes, cyano or gha issues if any, or non issues.

(that thread wasn't volunteered here lol it was scooped up from the public forum because it matches the mode we study)

that's a perfect perfect example for this thread. we get to gauge safety of the animals if they're added in the clouded vs clean condition in those kinds of jobs. he saved work and time for sure, and bacteria, by not rinsing.

here’s a problematic one, causing ongoing headaches by not rinsing

Last edited:

mmadderom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok team here it is

for participants who want to test advice to not rinse your sandbed when adding sand to a new tank

or swapping entire reef systems into new setups without any degree of old sandbed cleaning, this is the thread. Every action logged here will be completely unrinsed sand activity

in contrast to:

study that thread before you make a choice to post here. Did we get 58 pages lucking things, or are strict controls in place that you can discern from reading?

If determined to still skip rinsing we want those outcomes patterned here, please add all jobs here where you had the choice to pre rinse your sandbed for a given job but did not.

Non Rinse proponents exist for all aspects of sandbed question posts...for example, search out threads where folks want to add new sand into a tank. The universal recommend is don't pre rinse, the cloud will go away overnite.

or moving homes

you can see people above use up hundreds of collective gallons of tap water pre rinsing old, gunked up sandbeds back to brand new status so there can't be any cycles. It wastes a lot of water if we are just able to bypass the rinse step altogether, test those outcomes here.

The next time someone takes their tank apart to clean out rocks full of algae, put it all back together without rinsing sand so we can track outcomes

*disclaimer

the risk is loss of your investment if it doesnt work, and the gain is you get a skip cycle job done without having to make any rinse effort.

This thread here is for anyone willing to put their tank on the line to forge a simpler path.

Ok go, I'll keep this bumped for the next nine years, or paste it as an alternative into upcoming transfer threads, home moves, sand swaps, let's see who wants their stuff on the line for an easy no work mode.

Anything you do to a reef tank sandbed unrinsed we need that logged here for outcome tracking
Not entirely sure what this is getting at. I Always seed a new tank with sand and rock from an existing one. I’ve Never “cleaned” sand when adding to a tank as that would be completely counterproductive.

My question would be why on earth would you “clean” sand or live rock…ever?? The older the better.

I started with a 75 gallon to purposely “prime” rock and sand for the 180 I knew I was going to change from fresh to marine. The transition was smooth after a year or so.

After lots of time I easily setup two micro tanks (5G and 16g) by simply moving sand and rock from the large tanks. Instant success.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure what this is getting at. I Always seed a new tank with sand and rock from an existing one. I’ve Never “cleaned” sand when adding to a tank as that would be completely counterproductive.

My question would be why on earth would you “clean” sand or live rock…ever?? The older the better.

I started with a 75 gallon to purposely “prime” rock and sand for the 180 I knew I was going to change from fresh to marine. The transition was smooth after a year or so.

After lots of time I easily setup two micro tanks (5G and 16g) by simply moving sand and rock from the large tanks. Instant success.
[/
The sand that is not rinsed will add cloudiness for days on end.
By rinsing, you will lose the fine particulate that floats around every time you turn your power heads on. Rinsing does not kill bacteria as once thought. Rinsing will prevent problems down the road with food and fish poop getting stuck in the sand bed.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any issues with folks rinsing sand at all. Just wanted to say that I did not rinse my sand when I started my tank, did not experience cloudiness for days, and flow + sand sifter CUC have kept problems with fish poop getting stuck in the sand at bay. Kinda feels like 6 of one half dozen of the other to me.

Last edited:

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saltwater but hard freshwater. It really doesn't take long for new unrinsed sand to clear. This is over the course of a couple hours

Attachments

• 20220201_162413.jpg
    20220201_162413.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220202_091831_HDR.jpg
    20220202_091831_HDR.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220202_100330_HDR.jpg
    20220202_100330_HDR.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220203_065812_HDR.jpg
    20220203_065812_HDR.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220203_065830_HDR.jpg
    20220203_065830_HDR.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 31

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regretted not rinsing sand on my first build I had cloudy water for almost 2 weeks, it was a dessert storm. Also do you really think that the sand would really still be live when it sits in warehouses for who knows how long, gets delivered in trucks with freezing or high temperatures and then sits again in a lfs? Assuming its still alive by the time you want to add it each grain of sand has hundreds of thousands of microorganisms living IN it, I don't believe rinsing sand will kill the majority of the microorganisms living in it. Also given that the tank is cycling the sand will have time to reestablish any lost bacterial population during that period of time.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regretted not rinsing sand on my first build I had cloudy water for almost 2 weeks, it was a dessert storm. Also do you really think that the sand would really still be live when it sits in warehouses for who knows how long, gets delivered in trucks with freezing or high temperatures and then sits again in a lfs? Assuming its still alive by the time you want to add it each grain of sand has hundreds of thousands of microorganisms living IN it, I don't believe rinsing sand will kill the majority of the microorganisms living in it. Also given that the tank is cycling the sand will have time to reestablish any lost bacterial population during that period of time.

Ever been scuba diving on a bad day? Or have weather change on a dive? Go from 75' visibility to 2' in no time. What is the concern of cloudy water especially on a new system?

Why is this even being discussed? Is the question how to prepare dry sand for a new display? Live sand (tbs, kp for example), or bagged bacteria based reef ready != dry goods. Any rinsing of live or bacteria based defeats the purpose.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok team here it is

in contrast to:

or moving homes

*disclaimer

i added some sand from a teardown just threw it in my big tank no problem. im curious, do you rinse dry crushed coral?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever been scuba diving on a bad day? Or have weather change on a dive? Go from 75' visibility to 2' in no time. What is the concern of cloudy water especially on a new system?

Why is this even being discussed? Is the question how to prepare dry sand for a new display? Live sand (tbs, kp for example), or bagged bacteria based reef ready != dry goods. Any rinsing of live or bacteria based defeats the purpose.
Why is this being discussed? This is the main reason people rinse sand. You can go and read the tens of threads of people complaining how cloudy their tanks are. Hmmm I guess if it shouldn’t be discussed these threads shouldn’t exist too.
As mentioned twice on this thread rinsing sand doesn’t kill as much bacteria as you think, and trust me it also doesn’t kill anywhere near as the whole transport and storage process does .
you won’t appreciate cloudy water every time you want to vacuum your sand down the road.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this being discussed? This is the main reason people rinse sand. You can go and read the tens of threads of people complaining how cloudy their tanks are. Hmmm I guess if it shouldn’t be discussed these threads shouldn’t exist too.
As mentioned twice on this thread rinsing sand doesn’t kill as much bacteria as you think, and trust me it also doesn’t kill anywhere near as the whole transport and storage process does .
you won’t appreciate cloudy water every time you want to vacuum your sand down the road.

Maybe you missed the point. Rinse dry sand all you want. Rinse live sand as I noted then you are doing nothing but throwing money down the drain. Thus me asking why are we talking about it like we need a doctorate paper.

I'm pretty sure you didn't own a tank back in the 90's but Southdown Sand was the rage due to the cost. Amazing stuff actually. I used 280 lbs of that stuff. I could drop a pebble in there and it would look like a low yield nuke went off. That is cloudy.

Now ask me if I'm going to rinse live sand I bought from Tampa Bay Saltwater, KP Aquatics, or even bagged Carib Sea Ocean Direct and the answer is no. Do you not see the difference?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back