The right time in a T5 bulb‘s life to test PAR

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 61” aquatic life hybrid system with four T5 bulbs and three kessil a360 X. I am slowly ramping up the kessil’s over time because frankly I think the T5’s alone are putting out as much par as running the 360s alone previously were. I want to get an idea of what intensity to have my LEDs set to along with the T5 to reach my ideal PAR at the level most of my SPS are placed (shooting for 350).

The question is at what point in the T5 bulbs lifespan would renting a PAR meter be most appropriate? I assume at least 3 months in or the middle point of your bulb change cycle. Testing with new bulbs doesn’t make a lot of sense to me because that is the strongest they will ever be. However, I don’t know how fast the PAR rating on T5’s degrades.

If anyone here has gone through this thought (or testing) experiment let me know what you’ve found. Similarly if anyone knows how fast T5 PAR ratings degrade that would be helpful - is it a gradual decline or so they stay relatively constant and the fall off a cliff near end of life? Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 61” aquatic life hybrid system with four T5 bulbs and three kessil a360 X. I am slowly ramping up the kessil’s over time because frankly I think the T5’s alone are putting out as much par as running the 360s alone previously were. I want to get an idea of what intensity to have my LEDs set to along with the T5 to reach my ideal PAR at the level most of my SPS are placed (shooting for 350).

The question is at what point in the T5 bulbs lifespan would renting a PAR meter be most appropriate? I assume at least 3 months in or the middle point of your bulb change cycle. Testing with new bulbs doesn’t make a lot of sense to me because that is the strongest they will ever be. However, I don’t know how fast the PAR rating on T5’s degrades.

If anyone here has gone through this thought (or testing) experiment let me know what you’ve found. Similarly if anyone knows how fast T5 PAR ratings degrade that would be helpful - is it a gradual decline or so they stay relatively constant and the fall off a cliff near end of life? Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated!
Following. I’ve wondered the same thing about my T-5’s.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on BRS testing I'd say anytime after 3 months.
Screenshot_20200906-115010_Chrome.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last BRS video that I caught was up to 15 months before replacing T5's

OP
OP
SixtyFeetUnder

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on BRS testing I'd say anytime after 3 months.
Screenshot_20200906-115010_Chrome.jpg

very helpful graph. It looks like between 3-6 month of bulb life is the ideal timeframe. And the falloff looks to drop off quicker after 8 Months. Thank you very much for sharing.

OP
OP
SixtyFeetUnder

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very helpful graph. It looks like between 3-6 month of bulb life is the ideal timeframe. And the falloff looks to drop off quicker after 8 Months (correction that’s 24 months by their experiment conditions. Holy smokes). Thank actually means like you said - more like 3 months to a year is a fine time to test. Thank you very much for sharing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back