The right waterproofing for a concrete tank

Razvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm new here and would like first to thank the Admin for inviting me to introduce myself. My name is Calin and live in Romania, Eastern Europe. I'm inbetween tanks right now but have some 10 years of reefing behind me. My next tank will look something like a 6000L (is that 1500usg?) concrete bunker with window holes in it. It is already built. In fact, it's part of the house's loadbearing structure, which is why I cannot allow any saltwater to reach the rebars. So here's my question: have any of you experimented with concrete saltwater tanks? What is a proven waterproofing system or material that will last decades? Thank you.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One solution would be the product pond armor. Its a two part epoxy that can be used to seal cement. I used this product for my plywood tanks and it held up really well. I have linked their site below which includes some application videos for concrete.

https://www.pondarmor.com/

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see pictures of this!!!

Also welcome to R2R!
E3B4F8FB-D918-4432-ABD8-D0F81C3A1301.gif

OP
OP
R

Razvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One solution would be the product pond armor. Its a two part epoxy that can be used to seal cement. I used this product for my plywood tanks and it held up really well. I have linked their site below which includes some application videos for concrete.

https://www.pondarmor.com/
Thank you. I will definitely look into it. My first thought was bitumen emulsion, if that is the correct term. It binds well to smooth concrete as well as glass. I would have used it to bind a glass lining over the concrete and then use silicone to glue a second glass lining over the first. And then the windows, as it were, woul be siliconed on to that. Any thoughts on this one?

OP
OP
R

Razvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see pictures of this!!!

Also welcome to R2R!
E3B4F8FB-D918-4432-ABD8-D0F81C3A1301.gif
Thank you! About the pix, the whole site is a terrible mess right now, and progress is painfully slow, but I promise to post some as soon as a decent view is available.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Have you seen the pentair? I believe it is the old Aquatic Eco-systems (Sweetwater aquatics??? Not sure which one, used to get a killer catalog full of aquaculture products back in the day and this stuff was in it) stuff. Not sure what kind of reputation it has in the hobby but considering it for use in my plywood/fiberglass build

OP
OP
R

Razvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had somewhat overlooked epoxy as an option. I'll research the zillions of such products that are also around here, in Europe, to find the best rated for salt water. I wonder what they use in public aquaria. I assume the biggest ones are concrete.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had somewhat overlooked epoxy as an option. I'll research the zillions of such products that are also around here, in Europe, to find the best rated for salt water. I wonder what they use in public aquaria. I assume the biggest ones are concrete.

I was going to recommend that very thing. Contact the big public aquariums that is.

Mooka151

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm new here and would like first to thank the Admin for inviting me to introduce myself. My name is Calin and live in Romania, Eastern Europe. I'm inbetween tanks right now but have some 10 years of reefing behind me. My next tank will look something like a 6000L (is that 1500usg?) concrete bunker with window holes in it. It is already built. In fact, it's part of the house's loadbearing structure, which is why I cannot allow any saltwater to reach the rebars. So here's my question: have any of you experimented with concrete saltwater tanks? What is a proven waterproofing system or material that will last decades? Thank you.
Not that familiar with Pond Armor but Im very familiar with epoxy. Epoxy is a fantastic product but has its limitations and the integrity of the system will be based on its ability to bond to the substrate. If there is an imperfection, or contaminant on the concrete that prevents a bond, water will infiltrate and progressively cause the surrounding area to fail. It can be done and done successfully, but I feel there are better alternatives available, mainly fiberglass. The concrete would be coated with resin, then a fiberglass mesh, then resin and you can build it up to be fairly thick. Its how boats are made. With a thick enough build, your basically making a water tight tank inside of the structure and not relying on the bond of the system to the concrete. There are systems called resin chopper guns, that make the application seamless, if you can fins someone in your area that is capable.

OP
OP
R

Razvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that familiar with Pond Armor but Im very familiar with epoxy. Epoxy is a fantastic product but has its limitations and the integrity of the system will be based on its ability to bond to the substrate. If there is an imperfection, or contaminant on the concrete that prevents a bond, water will infiltrate and progressively cause the surrounding area to fail. It can be done and done successfully, but I feel there are better alternatives available, mainly fiberglass. The concrete would be coated with resin, then a fiberglass mesh, then resin and you can build it up to be fairly thick. Its how boats are made. With a thick enough build, your basically making a water tight tank inside of the structure and not relying on the bond of the system to the concrete. There are systems called resin chopper guns, that make the application seamless, if you can fins someone in your area that is capable.
That sounds good! I was going to incorporate fiberglass mesh reinforcement anyway, in whatever product I chose. So this resin you mention is different from epoxy, as I understand. I'll give it a search. That's exactly what I want, a tank in tank. Thanks!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back