OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a tease. New tank is in a diatom bloom. Looks kinda rough now.

Left is “Mantis Mansion”
Right is “Caverns”
489B67A4-8371-49EF-9D0D-FADC9AB70D21.jpeg

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick list of the goodies.

Tank-Innovative Marine Nuvo 15
Stand-Coralife 16 stands
Light MM-Nicrew 30 watt
Light C-NooPsych K7 mini(2)
Pump MM-Mighty Jet 538
Pump C-Cheap Amazon 400gph
Heater MM-Visotherm 100watt/inkbird controller
Heater C-Eheim 100watt/inkbird controller
Rox Carbon
Sand-caribsea special reef grade
All rock is Caribsea dry rock.
Lid-IM lid for the tanks
UV-IM universal 10 watt both tanks
IM 1st chamber media baskets on both tanks

CAVERNS
Tank isn’t super clear yet. Just needs some time to age and mature.
Still working on coral placement. Trying different locations until they find a place that works.

The frogspawn is struggling with the move. Won’t extend much at all. Everything else seems to doing ok.

Added a royal gramma and a tail spot blenny. Both are happy. They have caves to hang out in.

MANTIS MANSION
Mantis has found a home. He’s redecorating the tank. I forgot to grab the pistol shrimp out of the tank. That’s a meal I’m sure. Lol

The maroon clown is in the tank also. Seems happy swimming around and happy to eat.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update.

Caverns is still in a minor bloom. Have some hair algae but very minor. CUC seems to be chipping away at it. I have seen the blenny tearing off chunks.

Added a 6 line. Total stocking is

Tail Spot blenny
Royal gramma
6 line
4 astrea snail
4-6 bumblebee snails
2 female sally light foot
2 red legged hermits.

No aggression issues at all.

Using the dual K7 minis has worked out well. I turned the way down and now have much more even lighting on the front and sides. My scape is tall and full of caves

Zoas are struggling since the Zoa eating nudi showed up. Continuing dips. And hoping the six line helps

My frogspawn is starting to look slightly better. Been a rough move on him.

All others corals look good.

I started 3x weekly CaCO3 powder in RO water dosing to tank. Mixed with Micobacter7. Water has clear amazing since this started.

Mantis mansion is looking sharp. Still thinking about a name for the mantis. Eating well. Designing his home, rubble is rearranged daily. Lol.

Maroon clown is his buddy. No issues at all.
Goal will be an anemone for the clown and that’s it.

4F6FC88C-0D83-4316-AD2C-EFD03C2C0492.jpeg

0A47B57E-45BF-4EC6-9908-2EA069CB925C.jpeg

565BEEBA-1D82-449F-948A-5BEC2AA8F852.jpeg

B898BD31-9749-4E6C-B6A6-BDA417F2FE8B.jpeg
B47677FD-7052-45B5-BDC3-68775BD077B0.jpeg
9F172022-F685-436A-A3CB-4A10CC37337A.jpeg
FA4C4E69-6FA1-4CAD-9D7F-BD08EA3AC22F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.

I added 3 Mexican turbo snails. Caverns was getting very fuzzy. The difference in 3 days is staggering. Tiger conch keeps my sand clean. Haven't seen a hermit in a few days but there are 2 in there.

No aggression issue with the fish. 6 line rules the tank but has been behaved.

MM has a big gbta. The maroon clown is loving it. Gonna add some other nems soon.

Mantis is doing great. Eats 3x week. No issues with the clown or nem.

No algae issues so far. Have 2 jumbo astrea snails. They can withstand mult mantis hits and have several times.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston we have a problem.

the mantis jumped out of the tank when I was cleaning g the glass. Solid 3ft fall. He’s kinda spazzing out now. Hope he’s not brain damaged.
He’s drapped over a rock now.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston we have a problem.

the mantis jumped out of the tank when I was cleaning g the glass. Solid 3ft fall. He’s kinda spazzing out now. Hope he’s not brain damaged.
He’s drapped over a rock now.
Sorry about that happening!! Hopefully he will recover quickly from that!

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s back in the cave somewhere. Everyone that sees the tank calls him the creature. Lol.

finger crossed.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seems Mr Mantis has survived his jump and fall. Out and about exploring for snacks.

update:

the mantis isn’t right. He’s trying to burrow into the glass. Kinda headstanding. Acts very spastic when disturbed. Almost jumped out again. Bumming pretty bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.
Add some thin acrylic sheets to cover the mesh on the lids. Trying to slow evaporation

lots of condensation on the acrylic now. Light transmission seems the same. Is this a problem?
I can increase the intensity of the lights easily enough if I need to.

image.jpg

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok time for an Update.

Caverns is doing great. Still finalizing coral placement. Seems I always want to move something to a slightly better place. Or maybe just rotate a frag.

My 6 line is being a 6 line and giving my Royal gramma a hard time. RG hides in his cave. Eats fine but them back to the cave. I may move or attempt to move him to the other tank.

Mantis Mansion is no more. The mantis has passed. He jumped out again during tank maintenance. I euthanized him as quickly as possible. He never recovered from the first leap.

This unfortunate event is allowing me to do some changes. The pistol shrimp is still around, healthy and BIG. He’s gonna stay with the anemone. Maroon clown is happy and mean. Just bit me for the first time today. Cleaning 2 of the rocks out of the tank. Bubble algae and vermatids. Knock down numbers then slow removal as needed.

Tank is loaded with pods. The 6 line would have a huge meal.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Sunday AM update

My anemone tank is doing great. No algae issues. No coralline growth yet. The bta is doing well. Gonna wait another few months before adding a nicer looking anemone. Gbta for now. Maroon clown is happy. Tossed to 6 line in with him. He’s quick enough to avoid the clowns wraith.

Hoping Royal gramma starts to come out more with being harassed by the 6 line.
Tank is going through some uglies. Might be some Dino’s. Not bad by any means. I’m feeding kinda heavy now. Reef roids 2x weekly and 2x daily feeds to fish. Frozen and pellet, flakes

Frags look healthy. Definitely growing.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another poorly written update. LOL

Anemone tank has coralline growing all over the back wall. Not super colorful but growing. want to upgrade the nicrew. A 3rd k7 mini would work.

Anemone won’t stop moving. Spends a week here another there.

Reef is going thru some uglies again. Nothing too bad. Small water change ever 2 weeks. DIY coral snow still 2x weekly. I do this on both tanks

Temps here went into the 90s. Early last week. Tank overheated to 87-88. Had some issues. One of my Duncan’s started to drop its heads. They seem to always disappear but I’m gonna see what happens to what’s left of the coral. A few heads are hanging on. The other Duncan looks fantastic.

Zoas are expanding. Mushrooms doing their thing.

Royal gramma is out all the time now. Very happy about that. 6 line is happy with the clown.

Feather duster is doing pretty good. Gets pushed around by the dang turbos and the conch. Is always open. Reef roids 1x weekly.

that’s about it.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another poorly written update. LOL

Anemone tank has coralline growing all over the back wall. Not super colorful but growing. want to upgrade the nicrew. A 3rd k7 mini would work.

Anemone won’t stop moving. Spends a week here another there.

Reef is going thru some uglies again. Nothing too bad. Small water change ever 2 weeks. DIY coral snow still 2x weekly. I do this on both tanks

Temps here went into the 90s. Early last week. Tank overheated to 87-88. Had some issues. One of my Duncan’s started to drop its heads. They seem to always disappear but I’m gonna see what happens to what’s left of the coral. A few heads are hanging on. The other Duncan looks fantastic.

Zoas are expanding. Mushrooms doing their thing.

Royal gramma is out all the time now. Very happy about that. 6 line is happy with the clown.

Feather duster is doing pretty good. Gets pushed around by the dang turbos and the conch. Is always open. Reef roids 1x weekly.

that’s about it.
any pictures? tanks are looking good

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back