The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know of all the leopard wrasse only one actually has leopard spots.
IMG_0983.jpeg
IMG_0982.jpeg

My white lights melted so couldn’t do much about the blue.

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0983.jpeg
IMG_0982.jpeg

Radiant looks great, though!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0983.jpeg
IMG_0982.jpeg

Definitely! Even the kuiteri doesn’t seem to have proper spots.
IMG_1122.jpeg

JMann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0983.jpeg
IMG_0982.jpeg

Fun fact: That’s because they’re not truly called “Leopard Wrasse” except for Macropharyngodon Meleagris. For some reason aquarium people just started calling the whole genus leopard wrasses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact: That’s because they’re not truly called “Leopard Wrasse” except for Macropharyngodon Meleagris. For some reason aquarium people just started calling the whole genus leopard wrasses.
The only species I’ve seen not called a Leopard Wrasse from that genus is the Macropharyngodon bipartitus/marisrubri. I’ve seen them called Peacock Wrasse but they’re the only ones I’ve ever seen not called Leopards.

Then I have the debate on;
Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus over here are mostly known as ‘dwarf parrots’ yet they’re not actually that close in relation to parrotfish.

Yet there’s the odd species called a flasher or fairy wrasse. Surely you pick one name or the other, not both?

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only species I’ve seen not called a Leopard Wrasse from that genus is the Macropharyngodon bipartitus/marisrubri. I’ve seen them called Peacock Wrasse but they’re the only ones I’ve ever seen not called Leopards.

Then I have the debate on;
Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus over here are mostly known as ‘dwarf parrots’ yet they’re not actually that close in relation to parrotfish.

Yet there’s the odd species called a flasher or fairy wrasse. Surely you pick one name or the other, not both?
Just to keep everyone on their toes, we should have a species called the fairy flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus faensis?) and a species called the flasher fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exhibiris?). Also the Coris coris wrasse, because why the hell not? Note, common name: Salty pig wrasse.

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue meleagris is the type species. Basically the species in a genus from which all others are described. Similar examples would be the “banana” wrasse, Thalassoma lutescens and the “Māori” wrasse, Cheilinus undulatus. Both of those are the banana wrasse and the Māori wrasse even though all the species in the genus are called banana and Māori wrasse respectively.

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to keep everyone on their toes, we should have a species called the fairy flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus faensis?) and a species called the flasher fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exhibiris?). Also the Coris coris wrasse, because why the hell not? Note, common name: Salty pig wrasse.
The fairy flasher. Coming to an adult film store near you!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue meleagris is the type species. Basically the species in a genus from which all others are described. Similar examples would be the “banana” wrasse, Thalassoma lutescens and the “Māori” wrasse, Cheilinus undulatus. Both of those are the banana wrasse and the Māori wrasse even though all the species in the genus are called banana and Māori wrasse respectively.
IMG_8950.gif

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my lesser photographed wrasses, Macropharyngodon bipartitus.
IMG_1211.jpeg

Still love this girl, she’s so cute! Unfortunately this tank is mostly fed pods during the day as I often neglect it yet somehow most if not all of these fish are fat still.

Also, in my main wrasse tank I have spotted both Kaleidos Pencils today. One is much more pale than the other and also skinnier. I’m not too sure which was the one I saw first but I believe it was the new one and the old one made the short appearance. I also spotted my Severnsi again.

I think in the meantime whilst they’re settling I’ll place my cleaner wrasse in my LFS’s fish system as sold. That way I hope to not lose him altogether and once these pencils are settled I hope to reintroduce him.

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering getting a wrasse for my tank. I have a 60 cube and have been recommended: Halichoeres, leopard, possum, and pink streak.

I have also looked into fairy wrasse but have seen conflicting tank sizes. So I’m unsure on them.

Im not so sure on the Halichoeres as if heard they like to murk ornamental shrimp, and I quite like my blood red shrimp.

Can anyone give my good species recommendations for my tank?

Also, do leopard wrasse lose their colors like I’ve heard fairy wrasse can?

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering getting a wrasse for my tank. I have a 60 cube and have been recommended: Halichoeres, leopard, possum, and pink streak.

I have also looked into fairy wrasse but have seen conflicting tank sizes. So I’m unsure on them.

Im not so sure on the Halichoeres as if heard they like to murk ornamental shrimp, and I quite like my blood red shrimp.
That shrimp will be fine. It’s the smaller shrimp
Any leopard except maybe a Choati as they are harder
Radiant
Yellow/canary
Silver belly
No. But they might turn male which you might find less appealing. I personally find males usually less pretty though some think the opposite

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shrimp wise, I’ve had one wrasse that mullered snails sit with cleaner, harlequin, fire and a boxer shrimp. Not one was affected :)

Fairy wrasse only lose colour if they have no need to display or are getting to a much older age. I’ve got species that I rarely see display still hold their colour. You can also ‘enhance’ their displays through a mirror against the side of the glass.

+1 to what slocke said, leopards can sometimes transition and only a few species look nice as a male and a female. So the species’ you look at also look at the males. I personally love the Macropharyngodon negrosensis as they look stunning as both females and males.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would agree that the easier leopards or mild mannered fairies would be best. The halichoeres tend to grow fast to 4-5” and may be a tight fit in a 2x2 depending on what else you have. JME with my chrysus, pallidus and leukoxanthus.

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with the picta/comb wrasse?
As one of the smaller Coris wrasse it should be fairly easy. Might not eat well as a juvenile. Females will probably do better. Might toss smaller rocks around. Probably semi-aggressive

RedOtterCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As one of the smaller Coris wrasse it should be fairly easy. Might not eat well as a juvenile. Females will probably do better. Might toss smaller rocks around. Probably semi-aggressive
Thanks for the reply! Was sold to me as 'similar to the yellow coris' which I learned now is a common misnomer. I had a yellow wrasse and loved him on my old system.

It's a small juvi that the lfs has claimed to have over 4 months so I'm hopeful ittl continue to eat well for me

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Was sold to me as 'similar to the yellow coris' which I learned now is a common misnomer. I had a yellow wrasse and loved him on my old system.

It's a small juvi that the lfs has claimed to have over 4 months so I'm hopeful ittl continue to eat well for me
See!! That’s why I will continue to be so annoying about correcting the “yellow coris wrasse” plague!!

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back