Thinking of Adding Additional Canister to RODI System

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 stage RO/DI system, and although I do not have any current issues with my RODI water, I'm thinking of adding another canister to give myself a little piece of mind. So what would be the most beneficial addition? An additional sediment filter? Another carbon block? Another DI chamber? My city water is sanitized with chlorine, and my incoming TDS is <100, if that influences your recommendations.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your city water have chlorine or chloramines?

I'm in Portland and my TDS is 16 but there is chloramines.

I added a big blue canister with carbon block for piece of mind. Much more effective at remove chlorine/chloramines than the small carbon block. I have a T and valve to test the water after the carbon for breakthrough.

To protect the big blue from sediment, I also added a regular canister in front of it, with sediment filter. So I have a total of 6 canisters!

But the two on my actual unit that would have a sediment then carbon generally just have a single carbon and then one is empty.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gives me pretty much total peace of mind. As you can see in the sediment filter, my water has high sediment even though it's low TDS
IMG_20200131_084348.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your city water have chlorine or chloramines?

I'm in Portland and my TDS is 16 but there is chloramines.

I added a big blue canister with carbon block for piece of mind. Much more effective at remove chlorine/chloramines than the small carbon block. I have a T and valve to test the water after the carbon for breakthrough.

To protect the big blue from sediment, I also added a regular canister in front of it, with sediment filter. So I have a total of 6 canisters!

But the two on my actual unit that would have a sediment then carbon generally just have a single carbon and then one is empty.
My city water has chlorine. I thought about getting the carbon block that removes chloramines - I figure it probably wouldn't hurt and would cover me just in case the city changes their sanitizing process. So that is an option (one regular carbon plus one that also handles chloramine).

That is a massive carbon block you have! How often do you change it?

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My city water has chlorine. I thought about getting the carbon block that removes chloramines - I figure it probably wouldn't hurt and would cover me just in case the city changes their sanitizing process. So that is an option (one regular carbon plus one that also handles chloramine).

That is a massive carbon block you have! How often do you change it?

I found that the chloramine specific block didn't really do much. My research found that the larger block provides much better chlorine/chloramine removal per "size" due to the increased contact time.

I've been running the big blue for about 2 years. i've run thousands of gallons through it and its still going strong. I only have the second smaller carbon just in case there is break through. I test the output of big blue every time I make water.

Back