Thinking of switching to LED for a 55 gallon reef tank.

Avp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep only LPS and soft corals. I am currently using a fixture with one 14K 175 watt metal halide and two 95 watt VHO actinics. What LED fixture/fixtures would be a good fit for this set up?

Last edited:

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best bang forthe buck would be the reefkoi fixtures if you're looking for something that is plug and play. If you're not afraid to DIY check out reefled, this way you can customize the fixture just how you want it and it probaly won't cost any more either since you won't need that many LEDs for lps and softies. Also you could always add more later if you wanted to keep some more light demanding corals. Talk to bill he'll help you figure out just what you need, he's a great guy to deals with. They are both sponsors here so you'll find plenty of info on them.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the jury is still out on the growth of corals under LED's. May be wrong however, I use LED's as supplementation though. Couldn't be happier!

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me personally I'd go with t5's or a t5/led combo. Do you ever plan on keeping sps in the future???

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the jury is still out on the growth of corals under LED's. May be wrong however, I use LED's as supplementation though. Couldn't be happier!

Had LEDs since Aug, the Reefkoi Evolutions, and growth is noticeable. Colors are incredible as well. Ecoxotic also just did a growth comparison after 1 year of LEDs on one of their tanks.

OP
OP
A

Avp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you happy with the Reefkoi Evolutions...any complaints with them? Which ones did you get?

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 30" reefbrite bar on my 30" wide tank. I also have 1 t5 fixture with 2x24" Blue+ bulbs. I have great growth throughout the tank. I origionally had 6T5s over but once i got the reefbrite i removed 4 of them and left 2. My SPS does well as well as all my Z's&P's.

Here is a pretty good example.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/led-lighting-specific/55622-growth-leds.html

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you happy with the Reefkoi Evolutions...any complaints with them? Which ones did you get?

I have the 1G and love them. 3 of my lights have one cord and the 4th light has two cords. To be honest, the only time I go all blue is when someone comes over and wants to see it. I have Ice Cap 470nM moonlights to give me my sunrise, sunset.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back