Rating - 0%
0   0   0

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the hanna solution to the last drop, lol.
I test every morning.
My vial has a few scratches and is over 3 years old.
I used a new one and the reading was within .1.
I have got .2 difference when going to a new bottle at times.
*Verified with salifert*
I do not think a varience of .2 is even noticed in a tank as most have a bigger swing.

I validate mine with a red sea pro Alk kit. They run the same for about the first 15 tests of a bottle, then the Hanna starts drifting down. And I go through multiple bottles a month, so they're not aging out or anything.

I agree that .2 dKH isn't really noticible in a tank. And the meter is +- .3 + 5% of the measurement. 5% is half a dKH on its own.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both hanna po4's.
Get the ulr.
The 713 has a .04 tolerance so 0 can be .04.
The ATI test was off most likely.
Just get the salifert like you are planning and test side by side with the hanna for alk.
Is the ulr the 774 or the 736?

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do i know which one is correct? Test from different test kits? I tested my tropic marin saltmix and it read 7.1 which seems to be about right for those saltmix.

It's more about consistency. Pick a kit and stick with it and try to keep your level as stable as possible.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more about consistency. Pick a kit and stick with it and try to keep your level as stable as possible.
Thing is ive always had my alk between 8.1 and 8.6 on my hanna and on the ATI test aswell. I just wanted to make sure the mistake isnt on my part since that much of a swing will be deadly for acros.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its as i suspected just tested my hanna and a salifert aswell as the LFS. The salifert read 8.0 and me and the LFS guy read 8.5.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't send ATI a message and ask what they think. You can send in your manual test results as well. Of course it would help if you ran the tests using water sampled at the same time you drew ATI's vials.

That is what I do actually. Just before the Tridents noon tests I grab a pitcher of water from the tank, fill up ATI's tubes then run through Hanna ALK and Phosphate tests and Nyos for Nitrates. Dump remaining water back in the tank and send off the ATI ICP test. In 7 or so days I can now compare ATI's results to the three tests I ran manually to the Tridents and usually everything is grand.

Within their respected margin of error room. One time ATI's salinity was lower, much lower than mine so I sent them a message as my manual tests looked good. They suggested using calibration or a reference fluid. The chemistry forum also suggested this. Low and behold ATI's results are correct and I had low salinity.

Anyway not saying that is the case but I found sending a quick email worked and they replied. Doesn't answer your question but figured I'd offer the email bit if you haven't already done so. Their support and response is great at least as far as I've used it.
They actually replied pretty fast, turns out the mistake was on their part, they tested the reserve and said they that during the manual imput they mixed the nitrate value with alk so my actual alk value is 8.04 which is perfect.

U

User1

View Badges
They actually replied pretty fast, turns out the mistake was on their part, they tested the reserve and said they that during the manual imput they mixed the nitrate value with alk so my actual alk value is 8.04 which is perfect.

I've had good luck with their responses. Glad it worked out and above all thanks for coming back to update. Really appreacite it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doesn't excuse providing bad data though. Doesn't inspire confidence. :(

JorgeS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that the numbers are inaccurate., it is that ICP cannot in any way measure alkalinity.

Companies that provide this result are doing a titration, just like a test kit. :)
And what do you think about triton alkalinity measure? They provide a dKh value in their N-DOC not in their ICP. Is there any difference?

Acroguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what do you think about triton alkalinity measure? They provide a dKh value in their N-DOC not in their ICP. Is there any difference?
Well I received my triton N-Doc and the dkh showed 6.32 ... I measured the same day I took the samples and Salifert came out at 7.2 and hanna at 7.35 so that is a 1 dkh difference.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Difference from what?

I assume they are measuring alkalinity properly, but, of course, do not know.

I also assume alk is stable in shipping, but that too cannot be guaranteed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received my triton N-Doc and the dkh showed 6.32 ... I measured the same day I took the samples and Salifert came out at 7.2 and hanna at 7.35 so that is a 1 dkh difference.

They probably measured it long after, though, right? A week or more?

Acroguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably measured it long after, though, right? A week or more?
Yes, I mean usually shipping takes 3-4 days then another 3 days till they measure the samples, so from the day of shipping it is about a week.Could this have an effect on kh in the sample?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I mean usually shipping takes 3-4 days then another 3 days till they measure the samples, so from the day of shipping it is about a week.Could this have an effect on kh in the sample?

It could. Does it? Not sure.

Triton did some tests for me on freezing and what effect that had on calcium and trace elements, but I've not seen data tracking alk in a closed container for a week or more.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back