Those with basement sumps or basement equipment racks, how did you do it?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I discovered last night, that the tank sits almost right over where my fish room is! And have been considering one of the following.
A.) Making an equipment board and having my apex, dos, wavemaker controls ect in the basement.
B.) Relocating the sump to the basement
C.)Running lines from the sump to the basement for water changes and the Auto Top off instead of carrying bucket after bucket up and down stairs.
Thoughts?

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I discovered last night, that the tank sits almost right over where my fish room is! And have been considering one of the following.
A.) Making an equipment board and having my apex, dos, wavemaker controls ect in the basement.
B.) Relocating the sump to the basement
C.)Running lines from the sump to the basement for water changes and the Auto Top off instead of carrying bucket after bucket up and down stairs.
Thoughts?
Myself personally, I'd make the equipment board and keep it by the tank, plumb your DT to a sump in the basement would make life a lot easier. I'm in a split level ranch on the lower (basement) level but in every other application I always rans my display down through the walls and into a big stock tank.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A and B will make C easier ;Smuggrin it's what I'm doing with my new build, Display only upstairs with maybe a tablet run down to a controller center in the fish room. I'd say if you have the room for it in the basement, it's totally worth it.

If you're wavemakers run off the Apex than I'd say they are good in the basement. If not it might be better to keep the controls close to the tank. My closed loop will have controls under the tank for obvious reasons

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back