Tip for rinsing food

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought I share how I rinse my frozen foods. I bought a tea strainer off ebay. With shipping it was under $6. I get a plastic cup half full of tank water, add however much food I want in the strainer and let it sit in to thaw for a while. After a couple of minutes I swish the strainer around and then drop the frozen food in the tank. Works great is much easier than any other method I have tried. Another tip, after its thawed and rinsed let the water drain out and add a couple drops of garlic extract to food. Give a couple of minutes to soak in and then add it to the tank.

teastrainer.jpg

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to use a really fine fish net and run it under the tap......Then to a cup of tank water....The tea strainer is a good idea too....

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use something very similar... but it's only the bottom half of the tea strainer if you know what I mean. I honestly have NO idea what it's actually used for, I was just walking through the grocery store one day, spotted it, and thought, "Hey, that would be perfect for rinsing PE Mysis!"

I rinse it in the strainer under tap water to thaw it out, then rinse it running RO/DI water over it for a few minutes, then plop it into a cup and use a turkey baster to squirt some tank water in the cup and use my KENT Seasquirt to feed it off to my coral :D

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a brine shrimp net. One of the little 3" jobs. But the tea strainer is cool.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't strain or rinse off anything I figure the little particles are beneficial for the filter feeders, pods and such.

JR,

OP
OP
aerius007

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't strain or rinse off anything I figure the little particles are beneficial for the filter feeders, pods and such.

JR,

I think it depends on the product but a lot them use some oil in the freezing solution that is beneficial to rinse off. I thought the same thing as you until I read post about it and decided I would rather be safe than sorry.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you know what products these are? I would like to get informed on this subject. A thread somewhere?? Thanks in advance.

JR,

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind I went on a info quest.the powers to be only sugested to drain off the liquids but not to rinse with tap water because of removal of good nutrients.

JR,

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JR,

It totally depends on the kind of food. For example my main three staples are Hikari Mysis, P.E. Mysis and Rod's Food. I dont do anything with Rod's or Hikari Mysis as you would be losing all kinds of goodies from the Rod's food, and the Hikari Mysis is pretty small and not oily, but P.E. Mysis is EXTREMELY oily, and adding it directly to your tank is instant unecessary pollutants. Toss and chunk of P.E. into some R.O. water or tap water and wait about ten minutes then look at the water...

mixedreef1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brine shrimp net or what i use to do was use an old chemipure bag as the strainer and then empty it into the tank

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I like to add different foods together. I buy in bulk and thaw out mix them up then I put in a large fish net rinse it real well with ro water. I then repack and freeze then all I have to do is put it in the tank. No more rinsing each time I feed :)

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse it in the strainer under tap water to thaw it out, then rinse it running RO/DI water over it for a few minutes, then plop it into a cup and use a turkey baster to squirt some tank water in the cup and use my KENT Seasquirt to feed it off to my coral :D

This is what I do, but with a brine shrimp net.

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a 3" brine shrimp net. I soak in brightwells aminoOmega, selcon, Vit C and garlic then drain in net and a 2sec rinse in RO. Just ordered some MaxAmino to add to my soaking. Except I dump into a plastic shot glass then add alittle tank water and dump down 1" PVC into a feeding dish.

I

inactive

View Badges
I just use a 3" brine shrimp net. I soak in brightwells aminoOmega, selcon, Vit C and garlic then drain in net and a 2sec rinse in RO. Just ordered some MaxAmino to add to my soaking. Except I dump into a plastic shot glass then add alittle tank water and dump down 1" PVC into a feeding dish.

Why not rinse the food THEN soak it?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the brown coffee filters before in the past (brown or "natural" filters don't bleach the paper). Put the amount you want in the filter, place it in a cup of water, give it a few minutes, then pull the filter out and you have food ready to be pulled off. Probably not as cost affective as a brine net.

xrayrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the brown coffee filters before in the past (brown or "natural" filters don't bleach the paper).

I use a reusable coffee filter. It is made of plastic, and has a very fine mesh screen. It will hold a lot, so you can rinse off frosen foods that have been blended into a mush. I buy stuff from the seafood store then blend it up.

reefdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just picked up a brine shrimp net the other day and all i can say is "wow." how did i get by feeding for so long without one. before i was either just dumping food in (lots of waste in the water) or trying to drain off the water that's on top of my cup of food (wasteful).

thanks for the tip everyone

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back