Tips for reducing cyano algae?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
For the past few months, my tank has been plagued by both red and green Cyanobacteria algae, a situation that has only gotten worse as of late. So far, I have significantly bulked up my cleanup crew and have been manually removing as much as I could with each water change, but it feels like each week the algae gets more and more abundant. At this point, the green cyano is the biggest problem, as it is both preventing my SPS from growing and is choking out and killing my zoanthid colonies.
I’m reluctant to try any chemical methods, as I know that can sometimes harm more than just the algae. Are there any methods of removal that I’ve yet to try, that have worked out well for others? Thanks!
IMG_1557.jpeg
IMG_1558.jpeg
IMG_1560.jpeg

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano usually siphons out pretty easily but if you aren't getting 100% off the rock then scrub it with a Rubbermaid electric grout brush from Amazon or you local hardware store. Other common things to try are reduce light schedule, change lighting to more blue than white, and reduce feeding. Last time I dealt with cyano followed a one month battle with dinos so at the time I was also doing daily dosing of bottled bacteria and silicate. My cyano issue went away in 6 days or so after siphoning out and rinsing thick mats of cyano from the top layer of sand which had the most aggressive growth.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend adding some macroalgae to help out compete the cyano for nutrients, which may be currently abundant in your tank. There are some great looking species under caulerpa.

Cyano doesn't really enjoy high flow either, so consider increasing that asking with reducing lighting of that's possible.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back