To clean or not to clean AIO chambers

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been "wet" now for 7 months. I have a IM AIO 25 Lagoon. There are (as I'm sure many of you are aware) 4 chambers on the back of the tank. The two filter chambers, the two return cambers feeding the return pump, & the center chamber that houses the return pump. In one return chamber is my heater, in the other is a mesh bag filled with Marine Pure Biofilter Media balls & a few chunks of live rock rubble. Should I ever clean these areas? They look to have a nice coating of green algae? and who knows what else going on back there. My gut tells me to leave it alone as it appears to look very beneficial. I would greatly appreciate any input? Thanks!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. Mine is very very well populated with pineapple sponges. I imagine they are putting in work. Perhaps just make sure the pumps are still running without clogging and the heaters stay clean? Uh oh, I haven't done that either!!

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. Mine is very very well populated with pineapple sponges. I imagine they are putting in work. Perhaps just make sure the pumps are still running without clogging and the heaters stay clean? Uh oh, I haven't done that either!!
Thanks, lol yes, I do clean the return pump and heater. I'm interested if I should vacuum the chambers, scrape the walls...

Rocktron1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave it most of the time. About every 12 months I rinse the media bags filled with matrix in the bucket of drained water during a water change, which gets the loose funky bits off without really affecting the good bacterial too much, then straight back in

Obviously I rinse the filter sponges out every water change though, but leave all the matrix, algae and pineapple sponges where they are as I believe it's all beneficial

Shine a torch in there at night, you'll be amazed at the little critters hiding in filter compartment

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subbed in here. I’ve been out of the reef hobby for many, many years, and my last tank was a 125 gallon. I recently got back in with a 15 gallon IM Nuvo Fusion AIO as my “main” tank, with hopes to upgrade that to a 40+ very soon, and a 10 gallon IM Nuvo Fusion AIO as a home for a Florida gulf Mantis (N. wennerae).

Both tanks were started with rock and sand from the good ladies at Tampa Bay Saltwater that I received on November 13th 2023. I’m entirely happy with my purchase from TBS, but the rock did include a large variety of algae, including macro and micro.

I have the InTank media baskets for both tanks. I noticed recently that when I pull my media baskets out, I see green algae growing in the chamber (between the media basket and the tank baffles).

My first thought was to wipe/scrape it out. Although I started my tanks with full on aquacultured sand and rock, and I know that brings literally everything, my gut reaction was to try to keep my back filter sections clean. I also thought pulling even any algae out of my tanks would help to export excess nutrients, which have been particularly high in the Mantis tank.

I’m subbed to hear what the gurus say about this. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back