To Infinity... and beyond!

WilsonsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, this is my first attempt at saltwater, first custom tank build, first try at pouring resin, and first time making a thread so I'm sure there are many many mistakes. Please let me know what your thoughts are on how I can improve! My main goal with this tank was to learn the ropes of saltwater so that I can someday build an indoor shark pond (I know, I know they're challenging and expensive... but a boy can dream). I'll try and walk through the past few months as best I can and bring you all up to speed.

In early December of 2019, I saw my first infinity tank at a LFS in Chicago (shoutout to Old orchard aquariums). At the time I had a 50 gallon planted discus tank and had started to get an itch for saltwater. Everyone told me not too and said it would be too expensive. I knew that if I tried it, I wanted to go all out and learn as much as possible. I decided it was a great opportunity to also delve into woodworking and pouring resin which I think is absolutely gorgeous. After about a month of reading, I came up with this:
Untitled-2 [Recovered].png

The idea was to suspend the tank so that water could flow under it and down into a refugium. I also knew that with my display only being 10 gal (a lot went into that decision, it was a combination of a need for rounded edges, cost, and movability). With an overall design and a solid foundation of knowledge, I decided to order my tank. I found a 10 gallon Penn plax on sale for $80 and ordered it to my house. This ended up being a small nightmare because I couldn't find out whether the glass was tempered anywhere! I called the manufacturer multiple times and tried all the polarized sunglass tricks that I could find. After a week of holding the tank, I finally decided to give drilling it a go. It took a painfully long 10 minutes to get through with my weak drill. Like all things saltwater... patience patience patience.
IMG_2568.jpg

By this time it was mid-January of 2020 and I picked up some cedar 1x4s from home depot. I managed to cobble together a wood stand. If you plan on doing this, buy clamps. I tried to use my walls as right angles and the whole thing ended up being slanted about an inch to the right. ALSO, if I could do it again I would build some sort of leveling platform. I greatly underestimated how sensitive the overflowing aspect of the tank would be to sitting level. More on this later...
IMG_2575.jpg

(I ended up tossing the black background on the tank. I used platidip and thought it looked awful.) The next step was building some sort of catch pan. Here's another place I tried to save money and paid the price later on. I could not find a decent, fish safe reservoir in the dimensions I needed, so rather than order an acrylic container (or make one myself) I made a pan out of pvc sheet and silicone, then covered it in drylock. It leaked. Then it leaked again. And again. Eventually, I used enough pond foam, silicone, additionally walls, and super glue to clog it but it cost me much more than a more solid acrylic base would've in mending materials.
IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2577 2.jpg

Next, the fun part: plumbing. I realized pretty quickly that a single line wasn't a good idea. One clogged channel could quickly lead to A LOT of overflowing water on the floor, so I ended up drilling two bulkheads into the bottom of the drain pan. I used 3/4" pvc which has run smoothly thus far and doesn't seem to have any issue handling return flow (even when I crank 880 gph on my return pump). I also build a small pvc gate/box to sit over the two return bulkheads and keep out fish/debris from traveling down to the sump or clogging the pvc pipe. In the return line, I included a ball valve (to stop back flow) and a manual valve in case the ball valve failed and I was there to catch it (this also came in handy when trying to fine-tune flow with my non-DC return pump).
IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2591 2.jpg

Next, I really wanted a nicer looking background. I toyed with the idea of leaving it see-through but I didn't like the look of the return line. I also had to remove the plastidip background because I needed to silicone on a small strip of acrylic over the back edge to make it slightly taller and keep the water from flowing that way. honestly, this could probably be accomplished by having a good leveling system and angling the tank slightly forward so the water only goes over the front 3 sides. Oh well, hind site 20/20. I found some cool looking rock formations made out of insulation and decided to give that a go. I think it turned out pretty well! I cut a piece of insulation down to size, carved up the surface a bit, and then sprinkled acetone across the surface for texture. Then I applied 5 or 6 layers of drylock with sand mixed in and siliconed the piece to the back of my tank. This worked well in my case because it was an internal, fish safe background so I could still affix acrylic on the back of the tank.
IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg
IMG_2622.jpg

Finally, It was time for me to worry about the inside of the tank! It was late January of 2020 and I made my first (of many) trips to the LFS to pick up some rock. I splurged a bit and got the caribsea life rock, I love the purple look. The actual pieced I got were kind of clunky and large for a 10 gallon so I slowly chiseled away at them to get smaller hunks... be warned this can take a while and a lot of frustration. After playing with the pieces for a bit I found a scape I liked and epoxied it together. Don't buy reef epoxy, it's garbage. I should've spent the time drilling holes in the rocks and putting acrylic rods in them for stability. I'm almost certain my scape will break when I have to move in a few months.

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

I added substrate, got a cheap light from a friend (upgraded soon after), and finally filled the tank. This is where I learned how important it is to level. The first time I turned the tank on, all the water only overflowed on the left side. I found a few pieced of scrap acrylic to wedge under the stand and got a bigger return pump to bump the flow up but again, LEVEL YOUR TANK. Well, at least if you plan on having it overflow.
IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

I tossed in a shrimp and some turbo start (dosed ammonia too for good measure) and waited for my tank to cycle (took around 12 days). While I was waiting I built the outer cabinetry of the stand which I think I'll gloss over. If you have questions about resin pouring please let me know! It's a blast and I've been doing it quite a bit since this project.
IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2797 2.jpg

At this point, my tank was about ready to rock and roll! If you got all the way through my build, thanks for reading! I learned a ton throughout this process and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I'd be more than happy to hear what you all think! I also have lots of little update projects/stocking footage since I finished the build that I plan on posting in the near future (fuge updates, adding new lights, converting sump to frag racks, adding ato to the system, making a mangrove garden, and of course fish/coral etc.) Stay awesome R2R!
IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG
IMG_2948.JPG

OP
OP
WilsonsReef

WilsonsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell, is that background you built "inside" the tank or on the back of the tank? I'd just be worried about anything leeching off it if its inside the tank.
The background is inside the actual tank. I'm hoping to cover it in gsp. From everything I've read, insulation foam is essentially inert in water. It's used in freshwater quite often and most of the custom rock structures you can order from online are some combination of insulation foam and drylock. I personally haven't seen any issues but my tank is still pretty new.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up! How much do you lose to evap per day? What light did you go with? Are you using a powerhead or a just the return for flow?

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The background is inside the actual tank. I'm hoping to cover it in gsp. From everything I've read, insulation foam is essentially inert in water. It's used in freshwater quite often and most of the custom rock structures you can order from online are some combination of insulation foam and drylock. I personally haven't seen any issues but my tank is still pretty new.
Be completely honest, out of my realm of knowledge. I've just always been super weary of doing something like that for fear of leeching, but it sounds like you've done your research!

OP
OP
WilsonsReef

WilsonsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up! How much do you lose to evap per day? What light did you go with? Are you using a powerhead or a just the return for flow?
Thanks! Evap is the hardest thing to keep up with, I lose somewhere around a gallon a day. The nice thing though is all of the surface area and water movement keeps the water very well oxygenated and makes overstocking less of an issue. I upgraded to an AI prime 16 HD and run Saxby with lowered red and green right now. I'm using acclimation mode and running it at somewhere around 30% at the moment. I used a random flow generator on my return for about a month and had a lot of dead spots, so I got a cheap hygger wavemaker on amazon. It works really well but even on the lowest setting, it's a bit much for my tank. My euphillya are ticked no matter where I put them, so I may be in the market for something that's more appropriate for a 10 gal. Flow has been hard for me to figure out.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They aren't cheap, but they're pretty cool. Its a return nozzle that oscillates in a circular motion to hit different spots of the tank. A lfs has one on a 10g AIO and they said it works pretty good as the only flow producer in the tank

OP
OP
WilsonsReef

WilsonsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They aren't cheap, but they're pretty cool. Its a return nozzle that oscillates in a circular motion to hit different spots of the tank. A lfs has one on a 10g AIO and they said it works pretty good as the only flow producer in the tank
Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to look into it and see if I can make it work.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back