To those who have beat red planaria

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I am totally stumped at this point. I have been going through fluctuations in planaria population and I do not know what to do.

I am getting a larger tank soon that will not have most any of my current rock in it. Over the next few months, I will be transferring my coral to that tank and I hope that ends flatworms.

I will be dipping the corals as I transfer them as I stupidly have never dipped my corals before. What solutions should I use? FW exit in the dip? Revive? Any suggestions?

For now, I have a six line that I hope is helping fight the planrias but I have also been using airline tube to siphon out as many as I can. I am talking hundreds of them. What else can I do?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most dips designed for pests kill flatworms but not the eggs and don't think Flatworm Exit kills the eggs either (((could be wrong))) so breaking the lifecycle is the toughest part (I think).

Coral QT with multiple dips spaced out around the lifecycle is likely best if you can swing it before adding to new tank.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can treat the tank with the FW treatments. Levamisole works too if you need a large amount - 1/2 tsp into a 500ml water bottle and then 1ml per gallon.

They levamisole is quite safe, but the worm toxin are not. So do what is advise and have plenty of GAC and reactors on hand and then plenty of water change. Treat 3 times over 3 weeks since some always seem to make it through the first treatment.

Plenty of people have beaten this.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had quite an infestation. Used FW exit at the prescribed dose then double dosed 30 minutes later. Three rounds of this cleared them out. You’ve got this.

13457.jpeg

Jumbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can treat the tank with the FW treatments. Levamisole works too if you need a large amount - 1/2 tsp into a 500ml water bottle and then 1ml per gallon.

They levamisole is quite safe, but the worm toxin are not. So do what is advise and have plenty of GAC and reactors on hand and then plenty of water change. Treat 3 times over 3 weeks since some always seem to make it through the first treatment.

Hi!
The levamisole concentration is 12% formula?
In my town i can only getting this.

Jumbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi!
The levamisole concentration is 12% formula?
In my town i can only getting this.
I found also a 50mg version...

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some success with flatworm exit. It never finished the job. Eventually I added a melanuras wrasse that took care of it. This was in a 75 gallon. Not sure if that fish could fit your tank. Also not exactly reef safe and they should have a sand bed. It snacked on small hermits and snails. I had a six line wrasse and it did not eat the planaria.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow coris, blue velvet nudi, and siphoning big clumps is what cleaned them out of my frag system

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back