Tony's Innovative Marine 200EXT Build

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it but what size PVC are you using for your drain and return?

Still holding off the dinos?

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey How's the RS 900 skimmer working for you?
It’s to big. I’d like to go down a size but I’m not spending that kind of money right now. Might think about selling it to recoup some $$. I like how it functions. The DC pump and sensors are cool. It’s nice that it shuts it off when the cup is full and it can dial itself down if the skimmate gets to wet. But I just chose the wrong size unfortunately.

AgentCartwright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really awesome build! I have been out of the hobby for two years and I'm already itching to get back in. I keep gravitating to IM tanks, currently the EXT 150. I was thinking of just going with the IM sump/plumbing and dealing with the filter floss balls or maybe trying to make the Klir 4 work. Did you ever consider their sump? What was it that made you deicde to go with the Bashea?

You're plumbing looks excellent...are the fittings/pipe mostly from BRS? Did you base it off the IM sump pre-made plumbing or have other sources for ideas?

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey How's the RS 900 skimmer working for you?
It has a hard time bringing my nitrates down below 30. I have since installed an algae scrubber
Really awesome build! I have been out of the hobby for two years and I'm already itching to get back in. I keep gravitating to IM tanks, currently the EXT 150. I was thinking of just going with the IM sump/plumbing and dealing with the filter floss balls or maybe trying to make the Klir 4 work. Did you ever consider their sump? What was it that made you deicde to go with the Bashea?

You're plumbing looks excellent...are the fittings/pipe mostly from BRS? Did you base it off the IM sump pre-made plumbing or have other sources for ideas?

Thanks! I did consider the IM sump but ultimately I wanted the freedom to do whatever I wanted with it, something large that would fit the fleece roller I have. It would have been nice not to have to worry about plumbing! But they release released the premade plumbing stuff after I had already built mine.

Plumbing was definitely the hardest and most tedious part. 2nd was getting the electronics panel built and installed right and everything mounted in it. I got most stuff from BRS yes. I had to fit the UV, 2x reactors, a manifold, 2x return pumps, and the algae scrubber and I wanted it all to be out of the way so hanging it all from the top of the stand was my only option. And mounting the UV on the backside of the stand. I also put in tons of valves and unions to be able to run everything off one pump or to disassemble for cleaning. I’ll probably never do that but the option is there!

I think it took me a couple weeks to get it all done. Several 5 hour shifts into the early morning hours. And i have tons of stuff left but it’s nice to have a box of left overs for other projects. I’ve already dug into it all several times.

Goodluck!

AgentCartwright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a hard time bringing my nitrates down below 30. I have since installed an algae scrubber

Thanks! I did consider the IM sump but ultimately I wanted the freedom to do whatever I wanted with it, something large that would fit the fleece roller I have. It would have been nice not to have to worry about plumbing! But they release released the premade plumbing stuff after I had already built mine.

Plumbing was definitely the hardest and most tedious part. 2nd was getting the electronics panel built and installed right and everything mounted in it. I got most stuff from BRS yes. I had to fit the UV, 2x reactors, a manifold, 2x return pumps, and the algae scrubber and I wanted it all to be out of the way so hanging it all from the top of the stand was my only option. And mounting the UV on the backside of the stand. I also put in tons of valves and unions to be able to run everything off one pump or to disassemble for cleaning. I’ll probably never do that but the option is there!

I think it took me a couple weeks to get it all done. Several 5 hour shifts into the early morning hours. And i have tons of stuff left but it’s nice to have a box of left overs for other projects. I’ve already dug into it all several times.

Goodluck!
Awesome! I'm currently planning to build a pole barn with an office, bathroom, and fishroom, which the latter would be located directly behind the tank in my office. I would still have the sump under the tank with one return pump going to the DT, but my frag tank and uv sterilizer would be on a sump-to-return loop with its own pump. The doser, controller, water station, ATO, and anything else would be in the fishroom.

I modified the IM pictures below to illustrate my thought process. The bonus of this is my UV is returning into the DT. The question is, should the UV or frag tank come first in the loop...I'm not sure it would make a difference.

1709744133363.png

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an amazing plan. Yeah, I doubt it matters much, but I’d consider the display to be the “dirtier of the two tanks” and would probably put the UV after the display tank before going into the frag tank. But I have no experience to base that on..

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! An extra foot and a couple inches deeper!
The only size difference is the lenght. Also its not really a 240. Internal dims = 190g's. Wish I had the room though. The 170 fit my space and is only 135g's internal dims. I wish builders would post actual display dims.

Last edited:
OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2270.jpeg

Sooooo, I guess I left the quartz tube and bulb in my UV for far too long. 10 months? It might explain why I had dinos to begin with?

How often do you people perform UV maintenance? It was much easier than I thought it would be. I guess I should get to it every 6 months from now on. I was thinking my water looked cloudier than it did at first. Haha

Also, for anybody that is curious about ReefMat fleece consumption rates, when I had dinos I experienced 28”+ per day. With clean water it dropped down to about 14” per day. Much better!

Also, I guess I’m going to build a CO2 degasser. I’d love to not have another container in the garage but it doesn’t look like there is anyway around that. I may build a tall one and use a small container just to collect the water and pump it through the resin using some old ATO parts. We’ll see. Anion DI resin is too expensive to waste! The journey continues!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2270.jpeg

Sooooo, I guess I left the quartz tube and bulb in my UV for far too long. 10 months? It might explain why I had dinos to begin with?

How often do you people perform UV maintenance? It was much easier than I thought it would be. I guess I should get to it every 6 months from now on. I was thinking my water looked cloudier than it did at first. Haha

Also, for anybody that is curious about ReefMat fleece consumption rates, when I had dinos I experienced 28”+ per day. With clean water it dropped down to about 14” per day. Much better!

Also, I guess I’m going to build a CO2 degasser. I’d love to not have another container in the garage but it doesn’t look like there is anyway around that. I may build a tall one and use a small container just to collect the water and pump it through the resin using some old ATO parts. We’ll see. Anion DI resin is too expensive to waste! The journey continues!
When I installed mine and was looking into how often to clean the sleeve I remember hearing clean sleeve every 6 months replace bulb every 12, but honestly when I pulled out after 3 months my sleeve almost looked like that so I'm not sure how to avoid the buildup other than pulling it every 1 or 2 months. Beautiful tank btw

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I installed mine and was looking into how often to clean the sleeve I remember hearing clean sleeve every 6 months replace bulb every 12, but honestly when I pulled out after 3 months my sleeve almost looked like that so I'm not sure how to avoid the buildup other than pulling it every 1 or 2 months. Beautiful tank btw
Thank! I appreciate it. Yeah maybe I’ll pull it in a month just to see what it looks like. I definitely don’t want it running if it’s not actually killing anything. Anybody conduct this experiment already?

OP
OP
QuickrdenU

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the easiest way I could think of to make a degasser. I luckily had an extra 55 gallon drum, I added a ton of RO valves, and an air pump. With this setup I can fill the drum(still have to add a mechanical float switch and a drip look to those wires…), aerate it for a day, and then flip some valves to use the same pump to pump it out through the resin and into the RO barrel. I’ll report back on if it increased resin life.

I tried some other pumps I had laying around and none of them could attain the pressure needed to pump the water out and through the DI resin. I considered buying a second booster pump and some hi low sump pump sensors but I’m cheap sometimes.

IMG_2301.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back