Too much CUC?

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am shopping on Saltwaterfish.com and they are having a sale were you can buy a CUC kit for only $40 bucks called the algae destroyer kit. they say its specifically designed for a 30 gallon tank but I feel like it comes with waaay to many critters for a 30gal tank. what do you guys think? it comes with:

25x Assorted Reef Safe Hermit Crabs Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit, or Red Tip Hermit, or Yellow Tip Hermit or Zebra Hermit Crabs

5x Assorted Cleaner Snails Margarita Snail or Margarite, Green Spiral or Cat Eye Turbo Snail

5x Cerith Snails, Cortez or Cerith Snail Caribbean

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good deal but not a complete cuc imo. I don’t see the point in 25 various hermits.

I have a 20g with 2in sand bottom. My cuc is as follows.

Emerald crab x 1
mexi Turbo 2
Nassarius 4
Conch 2
Hermit 2
Trochus 2
Bubble bee unknown but around 5

OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good deal but not a complete cuc imo. I don’t see the point in 25 various hermits.

I have a 20g with 2in sand bottom. My cuc is as follows.

Emerald crab x 1
mexi Turbo 2
Nassarius 4
Conch 2
Hermit 2
Trochus 2
Bubble bee unknown but around 5
right now i only have 1 emerald crab, a skunk cleaner shrimp, and 2 turbo snails so i need more for sure. what would you recommend?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am shopping on Saltwaterfish.com and they are having a sale were you can buy a CUC kit for only $40 bucks called the algae destroyer kit. they say its specifically designed for a 30 gallon tank but I feel like it comes with waaay to many critters for a 30gal tank. what do you guys think? it comes with:

25x Assorted Reef Safe Hermit Crabs Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit, or Red Tip Hermit, or Yellow Tip Hermit or Zebra Hermit Crabs

5x Assorted Cleaner Snails Margarita Snail or Margarite, Green Spiral or Cat Eye Turbo Snail

5x Cerith Snails, Cortez or Cerith Snail Caribbean
Sounds great if you need them.
I would not buy for a new aquarium setup.
25 hermit's seem a lot so you will need to provide supplement food along with enough shell's to help them grow/move into

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits are no issue with numbers - you can always feed them flake food and stuff.

The snails and other algae eaters are more of a concern because they can starve. I have never found that they will eat nori and stuff like people suggest. In an established tank, urchins are not as much of a risk since they can eat coralline.

Some of those snails are going to struggle at 78 degrees. I would pick your crew yourself instead of an "or" situation where you might get some variety that don't do well.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the 10 snails and leave the hermits, hermits are more trouble than they are worth. Hermits are very cheap, thats where they are making their money, thats why so many.

Personally I keep only 1-2 of each snail, and with the 10 snails, looks like thats what you get, but they decide which ones. Doesn't look like a very good deal to be honest.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back