Took the plunge on a Moorish Idol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mine did the same thing. once it became settled in it was very aggressive at eating and chasing other fish away from the sea veggies. got fat from eating sea veggies and larrys reef service fish frenzy.

How is your idol?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For idols diet is important. Doesn’t matter how much they eat as much as they eat the right foods. Would cut out the brine, and feed as much angel food, with sponge in it.

Feed them new life spectrum to get it comfy, then supliment with sponge. Without sponge it won’t live a full life.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Confuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all of the previous suggestions.

Constant feedings + good water quality + variety of food choices/diet + tons of nori + stress free environment + a lot of luck and finger crossing = a fighting chance in keeping one of these beauties (but of course, not guaranteed)! lol

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your idol?
i sold it to a guy with a 700 gallon tank. i had mine in a 125 gallon. i felt it was too small for it. i would only get another one if i had a very large system.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll one of my all time favorite fish has finally made it home with me. I was very fortunate to have found an idol that is eating anything and everything that I throw in the tank. From brine, mysis, NLS pellets to nori. Hope all goes well and continues to eat with gusto the way it is now. Here is a pic of him in the tank.
20180415_204829.jpg
Beautiful fish! Jealous!!!!

OP
OP
aherre07

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the comments. In case I haven't mentioned what I feed mine; I feed a mixture of stuff it's a pretty big blend of all kinds of food. I make my own blend of a seafood medley from Costco that includes shrimp, mussels, scallops, squid, octopus and who knows what else, then I add mysis, brine, nori, LRS reef frenzy. I mix it all with selcon and feed that daily. Then I place nori in the tank daily and also feed NLS pellets. My fish love it.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Idol loves Masstick. It is the only food he gets aggressive over. Ironically he doesn't get as much as he'd like as he spends most of his time chasing others away from it. When he chases one away, three more swoop in to get a bite.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, how is your Idol doing?

Mine is doing great, I'm planning to move to QT in about 2 months time. 3 months of that and into the Main Display. He really likes to hog the algae grazer and chases the lawnmower blenny away. =)

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got a Moorish Idol to complete QT and is now about 1 month in and enjoying it's new home in the 220 gallon tank with all its tang mates. Likes to chase my Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish and constantly grazes on the nori clips and rocks along with the 5 various tangs and foxface. I have no doubt that this fish is going to survive in my care for a while.

Long live Gill!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back