Top Beneficial Reef Fish for 125G

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it

I'm upgrading my nano to a 125G, I had plans to use a 90g I have but I decided to do it in a 125g. I currently have 2 fish and some inverts in a 13.5 Fluval tank.

Current Stock

Fish

6 Line Wrasse
Watchman Goby

Inverts
Pistol Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp
6x Astrea Snails
4x Bumblebee Snails
1x Tiger Sand Conch
1 Pin Cushion Urchin

Looking for some ideas on fish that are beneficial to a reef. I am more interested in coral so whatever fish would benefit the reef the most I am interested in. I am going to keep all of my current stock and move it over to the 125G. Id also like to know how many more inverts I would need to ADD to the system.

As always thanks in advance !

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm partial to bristle tooth tangs and fox faces. I also love stary eyed or sailfin blennies. I wouldn't have a tank with out a dwarf angle of some kind.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm partial to bristle tooth tangs and fox faces. I also love stary eyed or sailfin blennies. I wouldn't have a tank with out a dwarf angle of some kind.
How are the bristle tooth tangs with eating algae ? I know more often than not yellow tangs go to town on hair algae all day long.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooths are know for eating algae. In a 125 I would stick to the smaller ones, Tomini, mimics etc. also, wrasses are good for stirring up sand bed and eating hitchhikers.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the bristle tooth tangs with eating algae ? I know more often than not yellow tangs go to town on hair algae all day long.
IME they like film algae on the glass the best. My magnificent foxface was a cow and even grazed on bryopsis

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fyi all those I listed could nibble on polyps. It's usually thinking they are going after something else. Problem arises when they decide a certain polyp was pretty tasty and keep going back for more. I personally have been lucky and have only had the occasional nip.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooths are know for eating algae. In a 125 I would stick to the smaller ones, Tomini, mimics etc. also, wrasses are good for stirring up sand bed and eating hitchhikers.

How many Wrasses can I get away with ? 2?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a mated pair it's worth it. Otherwise a trio of anthias is also nice too. Those are all jumpers to be aware of protection for that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back