Top Shelf Aquatic's Eye-Candy Mega Thread Pic Heavy

We were a bit concerned innitially but we track our DOA metrics and there is no difference between colonies with and without it.
We're not exactly sure what causes it but there have been no issues in growth, healing or shipping. Currently, I believe its either the chemicals we use for nitrate/phosphate or some other variable that we cannot currently track.
EDIT: that being said, we run montly Triton tests and the only thing we've had slighly above average every so often is iodine so that could also be a reason.

Gotcha, I figured you had your eye one it. That type of growth flowing just the bumpy flesh seems to be the least problematic. It’s when tips get lumpy that I have seen problems. Did you guys read any of the thread about this type of growth a few weeks back in the sps section? It started as the thought that maybe led was contributing to this growth forming on tenuis colonies but there hasn’t been much proof of anything. Ime this growth doesn’t transfer to other tanks easily and the only thing I have seen that could attribute to some of it is an unbalanced two part addition. But even that is not a constant for people who have the lumpy growth on the flesh. It was more common with the bubbly tips type though.
 
Gotcha, I figured you had your eye one it. That type of growth flowing just the bumpy flesh seems to be the least problematic. It’s when tips get lumpy that I have seen problems. Did you guys read any of the thread about this type of growth a few weeks back in the sps section? It started as the thought that maybe led was contributing to this growth forming on tenuis colonies but there hasn’t been much proof of anything. Ime this growth doesn’t transfer to other tanks easily and the only thing I have seen that could attribute to some of it is an unbalanced two part addition. But even that is not a constant for people who have the lumpy growth on the flesh. It was more common with the bubbly tips type though.
We've been reading into it but its somewhat difficult finding a single solitary cause for it as we have so much going on in the systems. We use a majority of LEDs, dose a bunch of different additives and provide an obscene amount of flow in this system. Currently we think its more of an aesthetic thing, at least for us, as we've had no noticable adverse effects. Since a majority of our SPS are farmed out in our facility we have staff inspecting colonies and frags daily and updating the log book. We have noticed however that the frags will usually lose that look.
In the wise words of one of the farm guys "Nature be like that sometimes" haha
 
I agree that type of bumpiness is normally nothing to worry about and fragments loose the texture more than not. Thanks for discussing it with me! I have been trying to find correlations between systems that show this but not had much luck with this particular type of growth. We did notice a lot of the tenuis that show this are under led but there are a few Outliers with other lights as well so that thought was pushed aside. Especially since a few led users took offense to the notion.
 
I agree that type of bumpiness is normally nothing to worry about and fragments loose the texture more than not. Thanks for discussing it with me! I have been trying to find correlations between systems that show this but not had much luck with this particular type of growth. We did notice a lot of the tenuis that show this are under led but there are a few Outliers with other lights as well so that thought was pushed aside. Especially since a few led users took offense to the notion.
I did know this. Learn something every day. Still don't understand the fullest but I will read up on it. Thanks
 
Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

49235042683_39d590173c_o.jpg
 
I spend just a bit of time browsing your website looking at corals I'd never have the guts to buy considering I have terrible luck with sticks :(

It's all about stability. SPS is hardier than most people think it is. Keep your phosphates low and your nitrates around 10ppm. Also really good light and flow is very important.
 
I spend just a bit of time browsing your website looking at corals I'd never have the guts to buy considering I have terrible luck with sticks :(

I always ask the vendor which of their SPS are easiest to care for. I’m definitely not a stick wizard, but the UC Dippin Dots I got from TSA is doing well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new