Top Shelf Aquatic's Eye-Candy Mega Thread Pic Heavy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were a bit concerned innitially but we track our DOA metrics and there is no difference between colonies with and without it.
We're not exactly sure what causes it but there have been no issues in growth, healing or shipping. Currently, I believe its either the chemicals we use for nitrate/phosphate or some other variable that we cannot currently track.
EDIT: that being said, we run montly Triton tests and the only thing we've had slighly above average every so often is iodine so that could also be a reason.

Gotcha, I figured you had your eye one it. That type of growth flowing just the bumpy flesh seems to be the least problematic. It’s when tips get lumpy that I have seen problems. Did you guys read any of the thread about this type of growth a few weeks back in the sps section? It started as the thought that maybe led was contributing to this growth forming on tenuis colonies but there hasn’t been much proof of anything. Ime this growth doesn’t transfer to other tanks easily and the only thing I have seen that could attribute to some of it is an unbalanced two part addition. But even that is not a constant for people who have the lumpy growth on the flesh. It was more common with the bubbly tips type though.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gotcha, I figured you had your eye one it. That type of growth flowing just the bumpy flesh seems to be the least problematic. It’s when tips get lumpy that I have seen problems. Did you guys read any of the thread about this type of growth a few weeks back in the sps section? It started as the thought that maybe led was contributing to this growth forming on tenuis colonies but there hasn’t been much proof of anything. Ime this growth doesn’t transfer to other tanks easily and the only thing I have seen that could attribute to some of it is an unbalanced two part addition. But even that is not a constant for people who have the lumpy growth on the flesh. It was more common with the bubbly tips type though.
We've been reading into it but its somewhat difficult finding a single solitary cause for it as we have so much going on in the systems. We use a majority of LEDs, dose a bunch of different additives and provide an obscene amount of flow in this system. Currently we think its more of an aesthetic thing, at least for us, as we've had no noticable adverse effects. Since a majority of our SPS are farmed out in our facility we have staff inspecting colonies and frags daily and updating the log book. We have noticed however that the frags will usually lose that look.
In the wise words of one of the farm guys "Nature be like that sometimes" haha

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that type of bumpiness is normally nothing to worry about and fragments loose the texture more than not. Thanks for discussing it with me! I have been trying to find correlations between systems that show this but not had much luck with this particular type of growth. We did notice a lot of the tenuis that show this are under led but there are a few Outliers with other lights as well so that thought was pushed aside. Especially since a few led users took offense to the notion.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that type of bumpiness is normally nothing to worry about and fragments loose the texture more than not. Thanks for discussing it with me! I have been trying to find correlations between systems that show this but not had much luck with this particular type of growth. We did notice a lot of the tenuis that show this are under led but there are a few Outliers with other lights as well so that thought was pushed aside. Especially since a few led users took offense to the notion.
I did know this. Learn something every day. Still don't understand the fullest but I will read up on it. Thanks

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

49235042683_39d590173c_o.jpg

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I spend just a bit of time browsing your website looking at corals I'd never have the guts to buy considering I have terrible luck with sticks :(

It's all about stability. SPS is hardier than most people think it is. Keep your phosphates low and your nitrates around 10ppm. Also really good light and flow is very important.

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend just a bit of time browsing your website looking at corals I'd never have the guts to buy considering I have terrible luck with sticks :(

I always ask the vendor which of their SPS are easiest to care for. I’m definitely not a stick wizard, but the UC Dippin Dots I got from TSA is doing well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back