Topic of the Week: Best OOPS Moment

Stomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Destroying my system cuz I was too ignorant to calibrate my refractometer... Or changing systems and not adjusting my doses or keeping an eye on my alk...

msl5078

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest mistake thus far was when I was working on my return pump, I accidently hit the piping conntected to the bulkhead in the sump and soon had water filling up the bottom of my stand. Luckly I have a small 80GPH pond pump that saved my butt.

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 good ones

2 years ago a seam blew out during a water change, 20 gallons of saltwater on the floor and I was shocked pretty good, we have no LFS near us so it was a mess trying to get a new tank, only minimal livestock losses
Last year's blizzard I had just moved and had incorrectly assumed there was a carbon monoxide detector in the house and couldn't run the generator for a 6 hour power outage, that was a long night, no losses

Bradsreeeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest oopps is when siphoning water into a bucket for a water change the tube is hanging out the bucket. pretty much gozling water on my floors -_-

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is embarrassing but....making a routine water change, I added fresh water instead of salt water. Fish were OK, but lost most of my coral. That was 5 years ago..a mistake that I won't make again.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 good ones

2 years ago a seam blew out during a water change, 20 gallons of saltwater on the floor and I was shocked pretty good, we have no LFS near us so it was a mess trying to get a new tank, only minimal livestock losses
Last year's blizzard I had just moved and had incorrectly assumed there was a carbon monoxide detector in the house and couldn't run the generator for a 6 hour power outage, that was a long night, no losses

Carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous. Do not use the generator in your house whether there is a detector or not!!!

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not comfortable running a generator outside the house unless I have a working carbon monoxide detector. My new house has 2 (one near the natural gas furnace and the other in my bedroom).

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made another booboo last night. I did a water change and refilled the ATO bucket. I woke up this morning to a room full of water. The output line that goes in the sump had somehow come out and drained 15 gallons of RODI in the room. Luckily, the line was on the floor and not up higher where it could have shorted some things out.

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not comfortable running a generator outside the house unless I have a working carbon monoxide detector. My new house has 2 (one near the natural gas furnace and the other in my bedroom).

Oh ok, I think we thought you were running the generator inside you house..... That would def be a no-no! You can get battery powered CO detectors from HomeDepot or Lowes for a reasonable price. Also if you put the generator away from windows/doors or right up against your house, you will be ok.

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a good oops moment this week, had a plumbing fitting on the top floor of a 3 story condo start leaking, spent most of Monday night and Tuesday mopping up freshwater. There is some damage but the owner (I am renting) said he'd cover all damage to the property.

Being a reefer I had plenty of towels and a shop vac available which helped to minimize damage.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back