Transforming regulator to use on calcium reactor

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regulator i use for homebrewing and have a few of them. I am trying to see if its worth wile to transfer it over to use with my calcium reactor. I will attach a picture. I think all i would need is to replace the C02 out with a needle valve and a soleniod correct?

CO2-font-b-Gauge-b-font-font-b-Regulator-b-font-font-b-Homebrew-b-font.jpg

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regulator i use for homebrewing and have a few of them. I am trying to see if its worth wile to transfer it over to use with my calcium reactor. I will attach a picture. I think all i would need is to replace the C02 out with a needle valve and a soleniod correct?

CO2-font-b-Gauge-b-font-font-b-Regulator-b-font-font-b-Homebrew-b-font.jpg
Is that a dual stage regulator? because if it's not, I wouldn't waste money on buying solenoid and a needle valve to convert a single stage regulator into a reactor regulator.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the difference between duel and single? Lol
Reliability, dual stage regulator reduces the pressure that is coming from the cylinder, and creates a constant working pressure within the regulator itself with the first stage. Then the second stage reduces that pressure to the output pressure. This prevents End of the tank dump, and you can use every bit of co2 in the tank, up until it runs out.

they are selling a lot of those things on eBay. you can build one for around 150 or so. (needle valve solenoid , regulator body and all) you just need to find the parts for the right price.

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reliability, dual stage regulator reduces the pressure that is coming from the cylinder, and creates a constant working pressure within the regulator itself with the first stage. Then the second stage reduces that pressure to the output pressure. This prevents End of the tank dump, and you can use every bit of co2 in the tank, up until it runs out.

Got ya, I really don’t know if it is or not

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd buy one from Alan Le. He sells high quality dual stage regulators with excellent solenoids and low flow needle valves.

Fishandcars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they are selling a lot of those things on eBay. you can build one for around 150 or so. (needle valve solenoid , regulator body and all) you just need to find the parts for the right price.

A carbon dioxide cylinder stays at a fairly constant pressure therefore a dual stage regulator is not necessary. The cylinder is filled with liquid carbon dioxide which then vaporizes into gas in the excess available space of the cylinder. As the gas is used more liquid vaporizes keeping the pressure constant, as long as temperature is also constant.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A carbon dioxide cylinder stays at a fairly constant pressure therefore a dual stage regulator is not necessary. The cylinder is filled with liquid carbon dioxide which then vaporizes into gas in the excess available space of the cylinder. As the gas is used more liquid vaporizes keeping the pressure constant, as long as temperature is also constant.

Are you familiar with end of tank dump? A dual stage regulator protects against end of tank dump. End of tank dump happens when the CO2 tank pressure drops to a certain point that the regulator can no longer control it so the remaining co2 in the tank is released by the regulator. A dual stage regulator does not allow this to happen.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you familiar with end of tank dump? A dual stage regulator protects against end of tank dump. End of tank dump happens when the CO2 tank pressure drops to a certain point that the regulator can no longer control it so the remaining co2 in the tank is released by the regulator. A dual stage regulator does not allow this to happen.
This

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the calcium reactor regulators for purchase are single stage btw, including the carbon doser brand. Dual stage are custom, or available from high end planted tank supply websites. Your home brew regulator is exactly the same and just as good as a standard calcium reactor regulator. It is worthwhile to invest in a good solenoid and needle valve, regardless of the regulator you use.

Fishandcars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the pressure drops it is because there is no liquid left and therefore it is time to replace the cylinder.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back