Treating a Fox Face that was stung by a carpet anenome

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, wounds are still looking good, pretty much healed other then you can see some scarring. Problem is now he is getting covered in ICK. I just dosed one last time with Furan-2 to be safe against infection. Think I'm going to let him in that for one more day, then add carbon for a day plus water change to get the Furan-s out. Then add copper safe. Any input on how anyone would handle this differently? Also he is still eating.

There is also tank transfer method for dealing with ich, which wouldn't expose him to copper (which suppresses appetite) but would enable you to continue antibiotic treatment: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/192655-tank-transfer-method.html

The real problem now is the tank the foxface came from must have ich. This means even if you treat him, when you put him back in that tank he will just get ich again. The only way to completely eradicate ich from that tank is to QT/treat all of the fish, and go fallow in the tank itself for 72 days.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank transfer method is definitely the least stressful treatment you can use. While it requires more work chances are better for success with your fish who probably already has a weakened immune system from dealing with the sting. Great advice here I have read that article myself and would use this method if ick ever became an issue for me.
There is also tank transfer method for dealing with ich, which wouldn't expose him to copper (which suppresses appetite) but would enable you to continue antibiotic treatment: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/192655-tank-transfer-method.html

The real problem now is the tank the foxface came from must have ich. This means even if you treat him, when you put him back in that tank he will just get ich again. The only way to completely eradicate ich from that tank is to QT/treat all of the fish, and go fallow in the tank itself for 72 days.

OP
OP
P

Plesoine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for late response, been busy. Guess the wife knows more then I think. The white spots were actually copepods moving on him believe it or not. My DT is filled with them for my Mandarin. He is now back in DT. Only problem now is yellow foxface which is 1/2 his size is bothering him but I'm sure in a few days they will be fine. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement from everyone.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 2 foxfaces together? That usually doesn't end well. How big is your tank?

OP
OP
P

Plesoine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were in the tank with each other before. He is doing great and back to his old self. Both are getting along fine now. They are in a 180 gallon reef tank. Actually back to being buddies :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were in the tank with each other before. He is doing great and back to his old self. Both are getting along fine now. They are in a 180 gallon reef tank. Actually back to being buddies :)

Maybe you have a male & female? Foxfaces typically don't mix well.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back