Treatment for Yellow Corris Wrasse

luvmyfam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a yellow corris wrasse for a few months now but recently, he’s been showing signs of injury or illness… I’m really not quite sure what is happening but every day when it comes out of hiding it looks more injured. He still eating like a beast, so I know that’s good, but I really don’t know what’s going on with him or how to help him heal. Tank mates are a clownish, a diamond Gobi, a couple emerald crabs and then a bunch of cleanup crew members (crabs urchins snails). I was going to do a QT tank and treat him with Ruby reef pro just in case he has some type of infection but it wasn’t sure if a dip would be better? Would love some thoughts on what it might be or what I should do.

IMG_4571.jpeg IMG_4551.jpeg IMG_4548.jpeg IMG_4496.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I’ve had a yellow corris wrasse for a few months now but recently, he’s been showing signs of injury or illness… I’m really not quite sure what is happening but every day when it comes out of hiding it looks more injured. He still eating like a beast, so I know that’s good, but I really don’t know what’s going on with him or how to help him heal. Tank mates are a clownish, a diamond Gobi, a couple emerald crabs and then a bunch of cleanup crew members (crabs urchins snails). I was going to do a QT tank and treat him with Ruby reef pro just in case he has some type of infection but it wasn’t sure if a dip would be better? Would love some thoughts on what it might be or what I should do.

Looks to be skin irritation or brook but pic slightly fuzzy
Can you post a you tube video of at least 30 seconds?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I don’t see anything that stands out to me in the pictures - the fish looks pretty good.

Can you describe the issue? Is the wrasse showing any other symptoms?

Sometimes a video shows us more (YouTube links usually work best here).

OP
OP
L

luvmyfam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He had an injury on his dorsal fin, right where the middle spot should be. His sides are also a little tattered but you can’t really tell in the video of photos I took. He also seems to struggle to go into the sand at night. He’ll just swim face down against the sand for about 30 mins before he finally disappears. Then this morning, I swear one of his fins wasn’t really working and he was kind of swimming lopsided. Maybe I’m losing it but something just seems off with him.

OP
OP
L

luvmyfam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be skin irritation or brook but pic slightly fuzzy
Can you post a you tube video of at least 30 seconds?

It does seem like a skin irritation to me as well but I wasn’t sure what might be causing it. He’s been fine the entire time. Things changed shortly after I added my Diamond Goby but I have never seem them bother each other

OP
OP
L

luvmyfam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the injury in question? any other symptoms you can identify?

The only other symptoms I have noticed is that he seems to struggle to bury himself at night and he no longer swims with his dorsal fin fully extended. He used to just dart under the sand quickly at night, but now he’ll swim around with his face in the sand for 30+ minutes. I think that’s what is irritating his mouth. I can also bet him with no problems which just seems odd to me… not complaining if I need to medicate him but just doesn’t seem right.

OP
OP
L

luvmyfam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some better photos! You can really see the issue with the scales when I turned the blue up on the lights and the white down.

Attachments

• IMG_4632.jpeg
    IMG_4632.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4631.jpeg
    IMG_4631.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4630.jpeg
    IMG_4630.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 24

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Got some better photos! You can really see the issue with the scales when I turned the blue up on the lights and the white down.
Pics are dark but on a large screen, I can now see a little better. This is skin irritation and some possible scratching. Best is to treat in a separate tank using seachem Neoplex and provide added aeration and a bowl of sand

OP
OP
L

luvmyfam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are dark but on a large screen, I can now see a little better. This is skin irritation and some possible scratching. Best is to treat in a separate tank using seachem Neoplex and provide added aeration and a bowl of sand
thank you!! Yes, sorry for the dark pics. It was the only way I could get the marks on the skin to show up, since they showed up as the lighter areas. It looks so much worse in person. I did set up a small 10gal tank to treat him in but I added the sand directly to the tank. Should take it out and put it in a bowl? And will he be ok in that small of a tank for the treatment period or should I get a larger hospital tank sent up?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
thank you!! Yes, sorry for the dark pics. It was the only way I could get the marks on the skin to show up, since they showed up as the lighter areas. It looks so much worse in person. I did set up a small 10gal tank to treat him in but I added the sand directly to the tank. Should take it out and put it in a bowl? And will he be ok in that small of a tank for the treatment period or should I get a larger hospital tank sent up?
Bowl best- 10 gal at 20" long should be fine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem like a skin irritation to me as well but I wasn’t sure what might be causing it. He’s been fine the entire time. Things changed shortly after I added my Diamond Goby but I have never seem them bother each other

The sharply torn caudal fin indicates that something bit it…I can’t say what, but the same issue could be causing the skin damage.

I did see the wrasse yawn once. That can be a sign of flukes. Have you seen it scratching or flashing? Is so, combined with yawning and the mild skin damage, I’d say it could have flukes. Prazipro, dosed with good aeration, 8 days apart is a generally safe treatment for that.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back