Trident - Reagent & Calibration Bottles Delivered Damaged/Leaking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if I'm just a super unlucky person with this. Having now had a Trident for a few months, it was time to open up the reagent box I ordered when I first got it and get it replaced and recalibrated with the new kit. I opened the box to find that Reagent B (and some of Reagent C as well as the calibration solution) was leaking in it's bag (the bottles came in bags in a box then, but latest shipments only have calibration fluid in it's own bag). Contacted Neptune Systems and they said "it is positive pressure during shipping and the reagent is fine, go for it". They said they did tests on this problem and concluded everything was fine and it was just fluid leaking out and nothing getting in to mess it up. I thought, hmmm, that sounds super strange, but if they say so I'll give it a go and assume they know what they are talking about.

Yeah, not so much. Results for CA and MG were off by hundreds from the readings just an hour before swapping it out and continued that way for every subsequent test - going from a reading of 420 CA to 650 for instance. After various attempts to "fix" it, recalibrate, etc. it was agreed to try a new calibration solution and recalibrate (as it was insisted the reagent is absolutely fine, so it must just be a "bad calibration"). That calibration solution then also arrived leaking, but again I was assured it wouldn't be a problem and it was "normal". Yeah, it didn't help (surprised? I wasn't). I already had a full replacement reagent kit on order (full price as I ordered it the moment I ran out the first time so I would have one on hand at all times), so that came the next day and what do you know? Yeah, it had leaking calibration fluid (the Reagent seemed intact). Decided to go for it and see, and sure enough the calibration was off for the Alk primarily (others were close enough). I recalibrated based on manual readings of tank water and got it back up and running to "close enough" as this time the reagent seemed functional.

Neptune Systems agreed there was a problem and sent me a replacement reagent kit which just arrived today. I figured I should definitely open up the box and make sure it was good to go, but you can probably guess where this is headed. Yeah, the calibration fluid wasn't just leaking in it's bag, but the lid was actually OFF of the bottle. Somehow the thing opened during shipping? How is that even possible in a sealed box? Fluid everywhere.

Now, in fairness, I believe support at Neptune Systems has tried to do the right thing from a customer service perspective. They have sent me free calibration solution and a free reagent kit (I paid the small amount in shipping). The problem is simply this: I can't seem to get a kit delivered that has everything intact and working. Either the calibration fluid will be useless, or the reagent itself is. The question here then is two parts. First, am I the only one with this problem? I'm guessing this is still a fairly new and relatively rare product, so maybe not enough have complained yet to easily find it with a Google search, or I'm just somehow super unlucky. Second, assuming I'm not just the most unlucky person lately, can anyone at Neptune Systems respond here and help clarify what is being done to improve this situation so you can ship a bottle that hasn't been damaged or leaked everywhere in the box? I know it sounds simple, and I get deliveries of various things all the time that are liquids and not leaking, but apparently there is a defect here in the bottles, the packaging or both. I really want to love the Trident, but this is taking me more time and frustration than it's worth right now.

greenwind82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the same problem. USPS delivered my reagents box 4 days later than its promised delivery date. The box was damaged and taped up. Calibration solution was leaking inside the bag, 1 of the alk solution seal was broken. I am still waiting for Neptune to response to my ticket and it has been 2 days.

9EEC29A0-F6A7-4CEB-938F-EB1AFF70434C.jpeg

OP
OP
JoshF7

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... The box was damaged ...
Ouch, that looks terrible. I'm certain my situation was not a USPS problem, but a bottle/packaging problem. I just watched some of the Neptune Systems live stream from yesterday and noticed that he mentioned the leaking problem in reagents was essentially fixed now, and they are still working on the calibration solution leaking problem. So a known problem that is getting fixed is definitely better than nothing.

I need to say again, in case it wasn't clear in my initial post, Neptune Systems has worked hard to make things right and their customer service has been great in that respect. I just got a call today to help again with this last problem and they are sending another replacement. I can't say how complex it is personally to manufacture and ship liquids like this, but they have assured me they are fixing it and I really hope that by the time I need things again they have it all worked out. For now, my advice to everyone would be to examine your packages immediately after you get them and if there is a leak contact them and get a replacement.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, that looks terrible. I'm certain my situation was not a USPS problem, but a bottle/packaging problem. I just watched some of the Neptune Systems live stream from yesterday and noticed that he mentioned the leaking problem in reagents was essentially fixed now, and they are still working on the calibration solution leaking problem. So a known problem that is getting fixed is definitely better than nothing.

I need to say again, in case it wasn't clear in my initial post, Neptune Systems has worked hard to make things right and their customer service has been great in that respect. I just got a call today to help again with this last problem and they are sending another replacement. I can't say how complex it is personally to manufacture and ship liquids like this, but they have assured me they are fixing it and I really hope that by the time I need things again they have it all worked out. For now, my advice to everyone would be to examine your packages immediately after you get them and if there is a leak contact them and get a replacement.
I agree that you should inspect your packages upon getting them. From past experience with Neptune if there Is damage with a product it probably happened as a result of mishandling in shipping. I as well have a trident along with every single other thing Neptune has readily available except a D.O . Their service is by far completely stellar and I have to take my hat off to Morgan Wood specifically....my system is rather large and very complex yet he has the patience to work thru every single issue with me and making sure everything is to my expectations. I have also had equal success with Luis. The fact that it took Neptune two or more days to respond sounds far fetched because I have had issues at 2 and 3 am, sent off a request for tech support and get a reply back with in the hour. If there was an issue where tech couldnt get to me right away they have gone as far as having their guy from new acxounts and dealer wholesales call me directly and atleast try and make me feel good about not being able to get immediate service and assure me that they are aware of the issue and working to correct it. For customer support Neptune gets a 20 on a scale of 1 to 10 in my book. They make a good product and stand behind it 100 percent. I've been astonished several times by the attention they have give. Me as a consumer. You want to see crappy service...try calling Samsung for service ... good luck with your reagents. As for now I'm told that is a Neptune direct only item but may change in the next few months. I've ordered two sets of reagents and they have always came in fine. I'll just say that it sounds like you shouldn't play the lottery anytime soon....goodluck!

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, sorry to hear that you've had such issues with the reagents. I'm on my second set of reagents, no leaks yet. I ordered 2 sets at once so that I made sure I have a backup set in case I don't open the box until I'm ready to replace the reagents, and find that there was a leak in a reagent bottle, or some other mess up. You just never know.

I'm sure Neptune will take care of you though, their customer support has been spectacular. I didn't need it until Trident, but after using it a few times now, it's been great.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my trident on Monday. Granted it’s not ordering just the reagents but my Reagent bag was bone dry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back